Re: [extremeperl] Book: Higher Order Perl

  • Greg C
    Message 1 of 58 , Apr 6, 2005
      --- Rob Nagler <nagler@...> wrote:
      [...]

      > That's why I believe culture is so much more important than language.
      > If you work at bivio, you "pretty much" know how to read the above
      > code.

      I've been following this whole language debate for a while, and finally decided
      that here's an opportunity to jump in.

      Rob's right, culture is more important than language. Research into development
      has shown that the impact of project management outweighs the impact of the
      choice of languages (and development tools and programming techniques) by
      enormous margins -- at least ten to one. Yet as programmers we spend far more
      time on religious wars over languages than on the culture of programming.

      I think XP has caught on because it defines a programming culture in terms that
      are accessible and relatively easy to understand. It fills a vacuum in
      organizations where before the culture wasn't well-defined (a culture of
      anarchy and chaos). And it competes successfully with bureacratically defined
      cultures (like SEI CMM or ISO 9000) because ultimately XP is defined in
      humanistic terms; it's as much about people as it is about getting something
      done.

      Spending all our time debating programming languages is a lot like race car
      drivers spending all their time debating engines. Yes, the engine is critical,
      but the engine doesn't zip around the track all by itself. It takes a
      substantial team of highly trained professionals and literally a ton of other
      parts to get the engine over the finish line.

      Greg C

      Message 58 of 58 , Apr 8, 2005
        Greg C wrote:

        > Consider: projects A and B have identical goals. In project A, you
        > have free
        > rein in your choice of software and hardware tools. However, the
        > manager sets
        > arbitrary deadlines, likes to stand behind people and criticize their
        > code as
        > they type,

        Wait. That sounds like Rob ....
        ;c) (kidding)

        > On project B, the choice of langauge and hardware are made for you and
        > there's
        > only one computer per two programmers. On the other hand, the manager
        > sees his
        > people as people, negotiates requirements and schedules on a realistic
        > basis,
        > trusts his people, follows a set of best practices (be it XP or some
        > other) and
        > chases everyone out of the office at 5:30.

        Wait. That *also* sounds like Rob ...

        :c)

        (not kidding!)