Re: [extremeperl] Re: I almost had a heart attack: you call that refactoring???

  • Chris Winters
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 2, 2005
      On Apr 2, 2005, at 3:16 PM, Jim Keenan wrote:
      > But if you double-check my original posting to this thread, you will
      > see that I did not call for "an immutable rule." I described instead
      > "[m]y own personal rule of thumb".
      >
      > From the American Heritage Dictionary via dictionary.com: "Rule of
      > thumb": "A useful principle having wide application but not intended
      > to be strictly accurate or reliable in every situation."

      I was reacting more to Terrence's shock and disbelief that
      copy-and-paste wasn't entirely evil. Didn't mean to misattribute.

      Chris

      --
      Chris Winters
      Creating enterprise-capable snack systems since 1988
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 3, 2005
        > There's also a rather subtle problem that exists when you have code
        > that is identical but represents different rules that may diverge in
        > the future. My caffeine-deprived brain can't think of an example right
        > now,

        I think that this applies more to languages like C or Java where
        runtime function generation isn't possible. In Perl, Javascript, and
        other functional-like languages where eval and closures exist, being
        able to abstract a function's structure means that refactoring can be
        done based on both identical rules and identical structure, but
        different rules. So, I'm giong to disagree with this here, Ovid.

        But, because you have this power, it is important to use it wisely.
        So, in languages where eval and closures exist, I would argue that you
        -definitely- have to wait until the third copy before refactoring.

        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 7, 2005
          On 2 Apr 2005, at 18:46, Curtis Poe wrote:

          > On Apr 2, 2005, at 9:34 AM, Tom Vilot wrote:
          >
          >>> Against: 2 (Jim, Terrence)
          >>> For: 4 (Rob, Rob, Chris, Johan)
          >>
          >> five, actually. Count me in the 'for' list.
          >
          > May as well make it six. I used to think the "never duplicate" rule
          > was good and sometimes the second time I do something I refactor on the
          > spot, but I've been bitten too many times by a quick refactoring only
          > to realize I didn't have a full grasp of what needed to be refactored.
          > 3 or more times is a good rule of thumb.

          I'll make it 7 and 4 since I'm not dogmatic about either. I probably
          lean towards the refactor-at-first-sign-of-duplication camp. However
          there are certainly plenty of times where my small brain has no idea
          the direction the code is going so I let the code tell me what it wants
          to do by waiting for a few more examples.

          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 7, 2005
            On 7 Apr 2005, at 08:36, Adrian Howard wrote:
            [snip]
            > However
            > there are certainly plenty of times where my small brain has no idea
            > the direction the code is going so I let the code tell me what it wants
            > to do by waiting for a few more examples.
            [snip]

            And the quote of the day site gave me this today.

            Never express yourself more clearly than you are able to think.
            - Niels Bohr (1885 - 1962)

            :-)