Re: I almost had a heart attack: you call that refactoring???

  • Jim Keenan
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 2, 2005
      --- In extremeperl@yahoogroups.com, Chris Winters <chris@c...> wrote:
      > Sounds like a call to delurk. I agree with Rob and Rob but more for
      the
      > reason that having an immutable rule like "the second time you
      > encounter functionality you MUST put it in one place" doesn't work
      as
      > well as ....

      But if you double-check my original posting to this thread, you will
      see that I did not call for "an immutable rule." I described instead
      "[m]y own personal rule of thumb".

      From the American Heritage Dictionary via dictionary.com: "Rule of
      thumb": "A useful principle having wide application but not intended
      to be strictly accurate or reliable in every situation."

      jimk
    • Chris Winters
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 2, 2005
        On Apr 2, 2005, at 3:16 PM, Jim Keenan wrote:
        > But if you double-check my original posting to this thread, you will
        > see that I did not call for "an immutable rule." I described instead
        > "[m]y own personal rule of thumb".
        >
        > From the American Heritage Dictionary via dictionary.com: "Rule of
        > thumb": "A useful principle having wide application but not intended
        > to be strictly accurate or reliable in every situation."

        I was reacting more to Terrence's shock and disbelief that
        copy-and-paste wasn't entirely evil. Didn't mean to misattribute.

        Chris

        --
        Chris Winters
        Creating enterprise-capable snack systems since 1988
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 3, 2005
          > There's also a rather subtle problem that exists when you have code
          > that is identical but represents different rules that may diverge in
          > the future. My caffeine-deprived brain can't think of an example right
          > now,

          I think that this applies more to languages like C or Java where
          runtime function generation isn't possible. In Perl, Javascript, and
          other functional-like languages where eval and closures exist, being
          able to abstract a function's structure means that refactoring can be
          done based on both identical rules and identical structure, but
          different rules. So, I'm giong to disagree with this here, Ovid.

          But, because you have this power, it is important to use it wisely.
          So, in languages where eval and closures exist, I would argue that you
          -definitely- have to wait until the third copy before refactoring.

          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 7, 2005
            On 2 Apr 2005, at 18:46, Curtis Poe wrote:

            > On Apr 2, 2005, at 9:34 AM, Tom Vilot wrote:
            >
            >>> Against: 2 (Jim, Terrence)
            >>> For: 4 (Rob, Rob, Chris, Johan)
            >>
            >> five, actually. Count me in the 'for' list.
            >
            > May as well make it six. I used to think the "never duplicate" rule
            > was good and sometimes the second time I do something I refactor on the
            > spot, but I've been bitten too many times by a quick refactoring only
            > to realize I didn't have a full grasp of what needed to be refactored.
            > 3 or more times is a good rule of thumb.

            I'll make it 7 and 4 since I'm not dogmatic about either. I probably
            lean towards the refactor-at-first-sign-of-duplication camp. However
            there are certainly plenty of times where my small brain has no idea
            the direction the code is going so I let the code tell me what it wants
            to do by waiting for a few more examples.

            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 7, 2005
              On 7 Apr 2005, at 08:36, Adrian Howard wrote:
              [snip]
              > However
              > there are certainly plenty of times where my small brain has no idea
              > the direction the code is going so I let the code tell me what it wants
              > to do by waiting for a few more examples.
              [snip]

              And the quote of the day site gave me this today.

              Never express yourself more clearly than you are able to think.
              - Niels Bohr (1885 - 1962)

              :-)