Re: [extremeperl] Book: Higher Order Perl

  • Adam Turoff
    Message 1 of 58 , Mar 29, 2005
      On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 15:11:02 -0700, Rob Nagler <nagler@...> wrote:
      > David Wheeler writes:
      > > It seems to me that if you know nothing about logic programming, then
      > > you can't really think that way in Perl.
      >
      > http://www.perlmonks.org/?node=424075

      How does that disprove David's point?

      Ovid is doing a Prolog implementation in Perl. If you don't know
      anything about logic programming, a Prolog implementation in Perl
      won't help you very much.

      > It seems to me that you are saying: You have to learn German to
      > understand psychology well. Jung and Freud were German, but the world
      > of psychology has grown, and now, I would argue, it is more important
      > to know English (another evolutionary language :-) than German to
      > understand psychology.

      False analogy. Jung and Freud wrote in German. If you want to understand
      Jung and Freud, read Jung and Freud. In translation. If you want to
      understand
      the nuance of meaning that Jung, Freud, or Goete used, learn German.

      A valid analogy would be: both English and Latin have a subjunctive mood;
      the subjunctive isn't used widely in English, so if you want to understand
      the subjunctive, learn Latin. (Note that this has nothing to do with
      studying Roman history or reading Ovid[1]).

      Basically, you are saying you are happy dealing with functional
      programming in translation. That's fine. Knock yourself out. But that
      doesn't address the fact that functional programming in Perl loses
      something in translation. It may be subtle, or it may be significant, but
      *something* is lost.

      -- Adam

      [1] The dead Roman, not the Perl hacker. ;-)
      Message 58 of 58 , Apr 8, 2005
        Greg C wrote:

        > Consider: projects A and B have identical goals. In project A, you
        > have free
        > rein in your choice of software and hardware tools. However, the
        > manager sets
        > arbitrary deadlines, likes to stand behind people and criticize their
        > code as
        > they type,

        Wait. That sounds like Rob ....
        ;c) (kidding)

        > On project B, the choice of langauge and hardware are made for you and
        > there's
        > only one computer per two programmers. On the other hand, the manager
        > sees his
        > people as people, negotiates requirements and schedules on a realistic
        > basis,
        > trusts his people, follows a set of best practices (be it XP or some
        > other) and
        > chases everyone out of the office at 5:30.

        Wait. That *also* sounds like Rob ...

        :c)

        (not kidding!)