Re: [extremeperl] Book: Higher Order Perl

    Message 1 of 58 , Mar 29, 2005

      http://www.perlmonks.org/?node=424075

      > If you learn Haskell, it can then help you to think new ways in
      > Perl.

      There's a huge cost to learn a new language to the point of being able
      to think differently. Why not learn how to use Perl more effectively?

      http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-road4.html

      > You learn new languages to think different Perl.

      It seems to me that you are saying: You have to learn German to
      understand psychology well. Jung and Freud were German, but the world
      of psychology has grown, and now, I would argue, it is more important
      to know English (another evolutionary language :-) than German to
      understand psychology.

      Message 58 of 58 , Apr 8, 2005
        Greg C wrote:

        > Consider: projects A and B have identical goals. In project A, you
        > have free
        > rein in your choice of software and hardware tools. However, the
        > manager sets
        > arbitrary deadlines, likes to stand behind people and criticize their
        > code as
        > they type,

        Wait. That sounds like Rob ....
        ;c) (kidding)

        > On project B, the choice of langauge and hardware are made for you and
        > there's
        > only one computer per two programmers. On the other hand, the manager
        > sees his
        > people as people, negotiates requirements and schedules on a realistic
        > basis,
        > trusts his people, follows a set of best practices (be it XP or some
        > other) and
        > chases everyone out of the office at 5:30.

        Wait. That *also* sounds like Rob ...

        :c)

        (not kidding!)