Re: [extremeperl] Book: Higher Order Perl

  • Shae Matijs Erisson
    Message 1 of 58 , Mar 29, 2005
      David Wheeler <david@...> writes:

      > It seems to me that if you know nothing about logic programming, then
      > you can't really think that way in Perl. If you learn Haskell, it can
      > then help you to think new ways in Perl. You learn new languages to
      > think different Perl.

      Yeah, I agree. You can learn functional programming in any language, but it's a
      lot easier to pick up a new tool when you have a job that needs it, or at least
      encourages it.

      By the way, I really did discover functional programming from applying
      merciless XP to my Python code. I found certain properties that allowed me to
      think more easily about my code. Once I got a few step down that road, someone
      pointed me to Haskell. Haskell was love at first code.

      But many of the cool features of purely functional code don't mix well with the
      balance of features present in Perl or Python.
      --
      Programming is the Magic Executable Fridge Poetry, | www.ScannedInAvian.com
      It is machines made of thought, fueled by ideas. | -- Shae Matijs Erisson
      Message 58 of 58 , Apr 8, 2005
        Greg C wrote:

        > Consider: projects A and B have identical goals. In project A, you
        > have free
        > rein in your choice of software and hardware tools. However, the
        > manager sets
        > arbitrary deadlines, likes to stand behind people and criticize their
        > code as
        > they type,

        Wait. That sounds like Rob ....
        ;c) (kidding)

        > On project B, the choice of langauge and hardware are made for you and
        > there's
        > only one computer per two programmers. On the other hand, the manager
        > sees his
        > people as people, negotiates requirements and schedules on a realistic
        > basis,
        > trusts his people, follows a set of best practices (be it XP or some
        > other) and
        > chases everyone out of the office at 5:30.

        Wait. That *also* sounds like Rob ...

        :c)

        (not kidding!)