Re: [extremeperl] Book: Higher Order Perl

    Message 1 of 58 , Mar 29, 2005
      Terrence Brannon writes:
      > In a strongly typed functional language, reasoning by proof gives you
      > 100% _certainty_ that a certain function works for all input. There is
      > no need to test.

      There is always a need to test. This is why program verification has
      gotten nowhere. The fundamental problem is that you can't verify the
      spec, which, btw, is why you don't write specs in XP (and other agile
      methodologies).

      > Here are the Perl cookbook examples done in 10 other languages
      > including Haskell:
      >
      > http://pleac.sourceforge.net/

      This doesn't answer my question. I am speaking in terms of real
      programs written for real customers who paid real money. That's all I
      do. I don't write code for fun nor do I write trivial programs to
      test my knowledge of programming. My goal is to spend every
      programming minute making money or saving time, because money and time
      are the only concrete measures of programming efficacy that I know
      of.

      Message 58 of 58 , Apr 8, 2005
        Greg C wrote:

        > Consider: projects A and B have identical goals. In project A, you
        > have free
        > rein in your choice of software and hardware tools. However, the
        > manager sets
        > arbitrary deadlines, likes to stand behind people and criticize their
        > code as
        > they type,

        Wait. That sounds like Rob ....
        ;c) (kidding)

        > On project B, the choice of langauge and hardware are made for you and
        > there's
        > only one computer per two programmers. On the other hand, the manager
        > sees his
        > people as people, negotiates requirements and schedules on a realistic
        > basis,
        > trusts his people, follows a set of best practices (be it XP or some
        > other) and
        > chases everyone out of the office at 5:30.

        Wait. That *also* sounds like Rob ...

        :c)

        (not kidding!)