Re: [extremeperl] Book: Higher Order Perl

  • David Wheeler
    Message 1 of 58 , Mar 29, 2005
      On Mar 29, 2005, at 11:47 AM, Rob Nagler wrote:

      > Here's a bold statement: you don't really need to learn a new
      > programming language, if you know Perl. Perl allows you to think like
      > you would in Haskell, C, Java, Lisp, etc. You do need to learn all
      > that Perl offers, and that's where HOP fits in.

      It seems to me that if you know nothing about logic programming, then
      you can't really think that way in Perl. If you learn Haskell, it can
      then help you to think new ways in Perl. You learn new languages to
      think different Perl.

      Cheers,

      David
      Message 58 of 58 , Apr 8, 2005
        Greg C wrote:

        > Consider: projects A and B have identical goals. In project A, you
        > have free
        > rein in your choice of software and hardware tools. However, the
        > manager sets
        > arbitrary deadlines, likes to stand behind people and criticize their
        > code as
        > they type,

        Wait. That sounds like Rob ....
        ;c) (kidding)

        > On project B, the choice of langauge and hardware are made for you and
        > there's
        > only one computer per two programmers. On the other hand, the manager
        > sees his
        > people as people, negotiates requirements and schedules on a realistic
        > basis,
        > trusts his people, follows a set of best practices (be it XP or some
        > other) and
        > chases everyone out of the office at 5:30.

        Wait. That *also* sounds like Rob ...

        :c)

        (not kidding!)