Re: [extremeperl] Book: Higher Order Perl

    Message 1 of 58 , Mar 28, 2005
      Adam Turoff writes:
      > The net effect of being a purely functional language is that Haskell
      > forces you to decompose problems differently.

      I always thought that was the customer's job. ;-) Seriously, is there
      any evidence that forcing programs to decompose problems the Haskell
      way is any better than the Perl way?

      > The Haskell approach isolates those portions of your program (into
      > Monads), that fold into its functional worldview.

      Since any real projects I do nowadays involves a database, I was
      curious how Haskell handled SQL, and it turns out that it "unwraps"
      it:

      http://www.haskell.org/hawiki/HaskellDbTutorial

      Do you have experience with this? Is it better to program this way
      than with good old SQL?

      > about your source code, the net result is that when you say "y = m * x + b"
      > the compiler has a pretty good idea of what you mean, without cluttering
      > up your code with type declarations and casting back and forth.

      Compiling, how quaint. :-) I've got a friend who programs Eiffel for
      a living. He waits 20 mins for the compiler to work things out before
      he can run an acceptance test. At bivio, we say (more or less):

      httpd -X

      and even in the most complex systems, it takes just a few seconds on a
      2.4ghz processor before I can validate the end-user semantics of my
      change. If there is a defect, my test tells me. I haven't found the
      lack of type safety in Perl to be hindrance in performance or quality
      so I'd like to see some evidence that programming in a type safe
      language is any better for the customer. Are there any studies out
      there that compare programming Perl vs Haskell to do the same job?

      Message 58 of 58 , Apr 8 9:37 AM
        Greg C wrote:

        > Consider: projects A and B have identical goals. In project A, you
        > have free
        > rein in your choice of software and hardware tools. However, the
        > manager sets
        > arbitrary deadlines, likes to stand behind people and criticize their
        > code as
        > they type,

        Wait. That sounds like Rob ....
        ;c) (kidding)

        > On project B, the choice of langauge and hardware are made for you and
        > there's
        > only one computer per two programmers. On the other hand, the manager
        > sees his
        > people as people, negotiates requirements and schedules on a realistic
        > basis,
        > trusts his people, follows a set of best practices (be it XP or some
        > other) and
        > chases everyone out of the office at 5:30.

        Wait. That *also* sounds like Rob ...

        :c)

        (not kidding!)