Re: [extremeperl] Book: Higher Order Perl

    Message 1 of 58 , Mar 27, 2005
      On 26 Mar 2005, at 16:00, Terrence Brannon wrote:
      > Adrian Howard <adrianh@...> writes:
      >
      >> Although it has made me want to get back into Lisp again - which
      >> probably wasn't the books purpose :-)
      >
      > In that case make it Haskell so that :
      >
      > 1/ you can help out with Perl6/pugs
      > 2/ you can use a truly pure functional language
      > 3/ you can get strong typing

      Oh I get FP and static typing :-) I've done a far bit of ML in my time
      (many moons ago I worked on Poplog, a multi-language development
      environment that includes ML as one of its supported languages).

      Personally I don't find that static typing improves the quality of my
      code (although ML, Haskell, et al make it considerably less of a pain
      to deal with static types than many other languages).

      I just happen to like Lisp - and MJDs book reminded me of what a nice
      language it is because I first learned many of the techniques the book
      covers back in the late eighties when I was playing with Lisp and
      Scheme a fair bit.

      Haskell is on my list of languages to learn - if only so I can get my
      head around monads properly. Need to cut some code to sink the concepts
      in properly. PUGS would be a happy side effect ;-)

      However my "spare" time is currently taken up with getting back up to
      speed on Ruby so it will have to wait (and Io looks rather interesting
      too).

      Message 58 of 58 , Apr 8 9:37 AM
        Greg C wrote:

        > Consider: projects A and B have identical goals. In project A, you
        > have free
        > rein in your choice of software and hardware tools. However, the
        > manager sets
        > arbitrary deadlines, likes to stand behind people and criticize their
        > code as
        > they type,

        Wait. That sounds like Rob ....
        ;c) (kidding)

        > On project B, the choice of langauge and hardware are made for you and
        > there's
        > only one computer per two programmers. On the other hand, the manager
        > sees his
        > people as people, negotiates requirements and schedules on a realistic
        > basis,
        > trusts his people, follows a set of best practices (be it XP or some
        > other) and
        > chases everyone out of the office at 5:30.

        Wait. That *also* sounds like Rob ...

        :c)

        (not kidding!)