Re: [extremeperl] Testing, Audience, etc.

  • chromatic
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 29, 2002
      On Tuesday 29 January 2002 13:15, you wrote:

      > This is the danger of writing a book about perl and XP. Whenever I
      > mention that I program in perl at an XP meeting, I get the strangest
      > looks. Fortunately, the perl community is more forgiving about XP.
      > Yet they aren't the easiest audience to please either. :)

      I've had fairly good results combining the two. It's convincing free
      software folks to write tests that's tricky.

      -- chromatic
    • Ged Haywood
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 29, 2002
        Hi Rob,

        On Tue, 29 Jan 2002, Rob Nagler wrote:

        > I am not a GUI programmer, and I have very little experience testing GUIs.

        I spent the better part of the previous two years doing both, for a
        system with something approaching 4 million users world-wide (IE and
        Netscape, versions 4+ only). If there's anything you want to ask, do
        please ask. I won't know the answer.

        73,
        Ged.
      • Ed Grimm
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 1, 2002
          On Tue, 29 Jan 2002, chromatic wrote:
          > On Tuesday 29 January 2002 13:15, you wrote:
          >
          >> This is the danger of writing a book about perl and XP. Whenever I
          >> mention that I program in perl at an XP meeting, I get the strangest
          >> looks. Fortunately, the perl community is more forgiving about XP.
          >> Yet they aren't the easiest audience to please either. :)
          >
          > I've had fairly good results combining the two. It's convincing free
          > software folks to write tests that's tricky.

          Correction: it's convincing *anybody* to write tests when they haven't
          learned to on their own that's tricky.

          I've also noticed it's rather difficult to get a lot of XPers to
          understand you can do it outside their chosen language. Except that I
          have seen some Java XPers that seemed to understand you can do it in
          SmallTalk.

          Ed
        • drewbie74
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 5, 2002
            Well, as a new convert to writing tests I can attest to your
            hypothesis. In general I have not sat down and written a good test
            suite when coding something new. But I did so with a new module I
            just wrote and I'm sold on the utility of tests.

            Case in point. I wanted to make getting config vars case insensitive.
            So I saved everything as lowercase hash keys. But this broke
            something else, so I had to go back. Because I had tests, it was very
            easy to see when everything was working correctly again. This benefit
            alone is what really sold me on tests.

            How to convince people to wite tests? Chromatic's article on perl.com
            was excellent in showing HOW to write tests. Perhaps we need an short
            article showing exactly how tests made a project easier? Heck, I've
            got time, maybe I'll put something together...

            Drew

            --- In extremeperl@y..., chromatic <chromatic@r...> wrote:

            > I've had fairly good results combining the two. It's convincing
            free
            > software folks to write tests that's tricky.
            >
            > -- chromatic
          • chromatic
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 6, 2002
              On Tuesday 05 February 2002 16:50, drewbie74 wrote:

              > How to convince people to wite tests? Chromatic's article on perl.com
              > was excellent in showing HOW to write tests. Perhaps we need an short
              > article showing exactly how tests made a project easier? Heck, I've
              > got time, maybe I'll put something together...

              How about some brainstorming then? Here are several benefits of writing
              tests, in no particular order:

              - to clarify the intent of the code
              - to enforce behavioral compatibility
              - to explore boundary conditions
              - to ensure that bugs have been corrected
              - to ensure that bugs remain corrected
              - to exercise an interface
              - to help with decoupling (when writing code for testability)
              - to add explanations of behavior (when using good test names with
              Test::More)

              There's obviously more (to make refactoring possible), but there's a
              disturbing tendency to rewrite software from scratch, and I'm picking my
              battles for now.

              -- c
            • Drew Taylor
              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 6, 2002
                At 11:49 AM 2/6/2002 -0800, chromatic wrote:

                >On Tuesday 05 February 2002 16:50, drewbie74 wrote:
                >
                > > How to convince people to wite tests? Chromatic's article on perl.com
                > > was excellent in showing HOW to write tests. Perhaps we need an short
                > > article showing exactly how tests made a project easier? Heck, I've
                > > got time, maybe I'll put something together...
                >
                >How about some brainstorming then? Here are several benefits of writing
                >tests, in no particular order:
                >
                > - to clarify the intent of the code
                > - to enforce behavioral compatibility
                > - to explore boundary conditions
                > - to ensure that bugs have been corrected
                > - to ensure that bugs remain corrected
                > - to exercise an interface
                > - to help with decoupling (when writing code for testability)
                > - to add explanations of behavior (when using good test names with
                >Test::More)
                >
                >There's obviously more (to make refactoring possible), but there's a
                >disturbing tendency to rewrite software from scratch, and I'm picking my
                >battles for now.
                >
                >-- c

                Well, based on some work I did last night I have a prime example. I had
                written some modules previously that worked and are currently in
                production. Since there were no tests for said modules, I begun witing them
                last night using Test::More (Thank you SO much Schwern - it rocks!). In the
                process of doing so, I ended up doing some refactoring to make the modules
                more flexible and worked out a couple of possible bugs. In the end, I had
                better, more flexible, and refactored code that had good,comprehensive
                tests - fulfilling the last 5 items in your list above. I was also forced
                to setup a development environment (including a db) that had test data and
                which I could use for testing purposes in perpetuity. This alone was worth
                it's weight in gold.

                For me, the acts of refactoring and writing tests now go hand in hand. Yes,
                it takes time, sometimes a lot. But it is time well spent because it makes
                your code better by the very nature of writing tests & making sure they
                correctly run. It's hard to do one without the other because it's difficult
                to make sure your "enhancement" isn't really a bug.

                To address your last point, having tests helps keep me from rewriting code.
                The tests help keep me from rewriting because I can fix only what is broken
                or needs enhancing rather than thinking "This code is a bunch of crap!
                Let's throw it out and just start over." Starting over is likely to
                introduce more bugs than you fix. And this of course is exactly what you
                were trying to avoid in the first place.

                Oh geez, I hope I'm not becoming a zealot. Not that it would be a bad thing...

[...]

                Drew Taylor JA[P|m_p|SQL]H
                http://www.drewtaylor.com/ Just Another Perl|mod_perl|SQL Hacker
                mailto:drew@... *** God bless America! ***
                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 6, 2002
                  Drew Taylor writes:
                  > At 11:49 AM 2/6/2002 -0800, chromatic wrote:
                  > >How about some brainstorming then? Here are several benefits of writing
                  > >tests, in no particular order:

                  I like to distinguish between acceptance and unit tests. For unit
                  tests, I would add:

                  - to validate the API
                  - to enable refactoring
                  - to keep the cost of change constant

                  A unit test suite is like a semantic compiler. In dynamic languages,
                  like Perl, there needs to be something to validate the code.

                  For acceptance tests, I would add:

                  - to encode concisely the domain knowledge of the customer
                  - to help the development team understand the problem

                  > Oh geez, I hope I'm not becoming a zealot. Not that it would be a bad thing...

                  Praise the Tests brother!

                  Rob
                • Drew Taylor
                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 6, 2002
                    Could you explain a little more about the two types of tests you mention
                    below? Specifically the acceptance tests, and how they would relate to web
                    apps. I'm trying to become more of an "architect", so a lot of the "domain
                    knowledge" stuff you & other texts mention is still a little fuzzy to me. I
                    read some of the docs on bivio, and it sounded very interesting.
                    Unfortunately more of it than I wanted was over my head. I'm very intrigued
                    about the platform you released and how to learn more about it in the
                    future - it would be a great learning tool for me.

                    It sounds like the tests I wrote last night would be unit tests as they
                    test object instantiation & the APIs.

                    Drew

                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 6, 2002
                      Drew Taylor writes:
                      > Could you explain a little more about the two types of tests you mention
                      > below?

                      There are many different kinds of tests including performance and load
                      testing. In XP we're mostly concerned about unit and acceptance
                      testing.

                      > Specifically the acceptance tests, and how they would relate to web
                      > apps.

                      What is beautiful about the Web is that HTTP and HTML are a messaging
                      interface. You can build a complete acceptance test suite without
                      dealing with GUI scripting.

                      An acceptance test is a way of verifying end-user functions. A unit
                      test verifies programmer level functions. Both can test Web software.

                      > I'm trying to become more of an "architect",

                      Before you do, read this article:

                      http://joel.editthispage.com/stories/storyReader$320

                      One of the things I'm trying to learn is to become less of an architect.

                      > so a lot of the "domain
                      > knowledge" stuff you & other texts mention is still a little fuzzy
                      > to me.

                      Domain knowledge is simply "the problem". What I like about XP is
                      that it is problem-oriented, not solution-oriented.

                      > read some of the docs on bivio, and it sounded very interesting.
                      > Unfortunately more of it than I wanted was over my head. I'm very intrigued
                      > about the platform you released and how to learn more about it in the
                      > future - it would be a great learning tool for me.

                      The great thing about perl is that lots of people have created lots of
                      code. We put out bOP, because it has no intrinsic value as a
                      product. There are just too many good toolkits out there. I consider
                      this a testament to perl more than anything else. You can create
                      incredibly solid software very quickly.

                      > It sounds like the tests I wrote last night would be unit tests as they
                      > test object instantiation & the APIs.

                      Yes, it sounds like you wrote unit tests. They are incredibly
                      important tools. We're slowly creating unit tests for our code. It's
                      tough to do, but we regret it every time we make changes and there is
                      no test to validate that we haven't broken anything.

                      Hope this helps.

                      Rob
                    • Drew Taylor
                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 6, 2002
                        At 10:52 PM 2/6/2002 -0700, Rob Nagler wrote:
                        >Drew Taylor writes:
                        > > Specifically the acceptance tests, and how they would relate to web
                        > > apps.
                        >
                        >What is beautiful about the Web is that HTTP and HTML are a messaging
                        >interface. You can build a complete acceptance test suite without
                        >dealing with GUI scripting.
                        >An acceptance test is a way of verifying end-user functions. A unit
                        >test verifies programmer level functions. Both can test Web software.

                        How do you do that? I've only heard of tools that allow you to create a
                        script and then playback that script. This is semiuseful, but what happens
                        if you make a change to the interface? What tools/techniques have you used
                        in the past to do acceptance testing? Do I have to setup a fake web server
                        environment & run the tests that way? That wouldn't be too difficult in a
                        CGI environment, and there are things like Apache::Fake now.

                        > > I'm trying to become more of an "architect",
                        >
                        >Before you do, read this article:
                        >
                        >http://joel.editthispage.com/stories/storyReader$320
                        >
                        >One of the things I'm trying to learn is to become less of an architect.

                        I hadn't seen that one before, although I have read some of Joel's other
                        articles. I'll read it tomorrow morning. My brief look says it will be
                        good. What I'm ultimately interested in learning is better design. Learning
                        patterns is one step, and working to see the problem from a higher level
                        view are two things I'm doing now.

                        > > so a lot of the "domain
                        > > knowledge" stuff you & other texts mention is still a little fuzzy
                        > > to me.
                        >
                        >Domain knowledge is simply "the problem". What I like about XP is
                        >that it is problem-oriented, not solution-oriented.

                        OK. Why don't they just say that? :-) I know that at high levels it's
                        essential that we're all speaking the same language, but can't that
                        language be simpler?

                        > > read some of the docs on bivio, and it sounded very interesting.
                        > > Unfortunately more of it than I wanted was over my head. I'm very
                        > intrigued
                        > > about the platform you released and how to learn more about it in the
                        > > future - it would be a great learning tool for me.
                        >
                        >The great thing about perl is that lots of people have created lots of
                        >code. We put out bOP, because it has no intrinsic value as a
                        >product. There are just too many good toolkits out there. I consider
                        >this a testament to perl more than anything else. You can create
                        >incredibly solid software very quickly.

                        This ability to quickly create a great product is one of the things that
                        really attracted me once I got serious about perl. I've seen several
                        frameworks that have interested me, including OpenInteract, OpenFrame, and
                        Mason. One day I hope I have the time to put some effort into learning each
                        better. I can just imagine all the tidbits of knowledge waiting to be
                        gleaned from each one.

                        > > It sounds like the tests I wrote last night would be unit tests as they
                        > > test object instantiation & the APIs.
                        >
                        >Yes, it sounds like you wrote unit tests. They are incredibly
                        >important tools. We're slowly creating unit tests for our code. It's
                        >tough to do, but we regret it every time we make changes and there is
                        >no test to validate that we haven't broken anything.

                        Yep, they were definitely unit tests. And as I mentioned before, I'm very
                        grateful I've written the ones I have because they did exactly what they're
                        supposed to do. Tell me when bugs appear and when they've been fixed. Once
                        I've gotten more tests done, I need to look into Test::Harness so I can run
                        them all at one swoop.

                        To illuistrate your last point, I have an example. At a previous employer,
                        we had a large codebase of perl modules (I bet it's probably doubled by
                        now) but no tests. I'm still close friends w/ the lead QA person and she
                        often just tests what she can and blindly hopes everything else still
                        works. It's just not possible to test every facet of the code for every
                        release (which is every 1-2 months). I really doubt that a comprehensive
                        test suite will ever be written, even though I have no doubt that it would
                        be an extremely important tool. The CTO's not convinced of the need, and I
                        don't think they would have/put the time to write a comprehensive suite
                        anyway. Besides, they're probably a little afraid of all the little bugs it
                        might turn up. ;-)

                        Could this be a hidden reason some shops are wary of tests?

                        Drew
                        Message 11 of 20 , Feb 6, 2002
                          On Wednesday 06 February 2002 23:33, Drew Taylor wrote:

                          > The CTO's not convinced of the need, and I don't think they would have/put
                          > the time to write a comprehensive suite anyway. Besides, they're probably a
                          > little afraid of all the little bugs it might turn up. ;-)

                          > Could this be a hidden reason some shops are wary of tests?

                          If it's hidden, it's not hidden very well. :) Here's my take.

                          Programmers don't want to write tests because:

                          - it's not their job
                          - it's not "real" coding
                          - it's not as sexy as "real" coding
                          - they don't know how
                          - they don't know (or believe) the benefits
                          - it's hard (but only the smart ones really believe this)

                          Managers don't want coders to write tests because:

                          - it takes time away from "real" coding
                          - QA should handle it
                          - it's cheaper to fix bugs when they're found

                          I'm only sympathetic to the coders who don't yet know how and those who think
                          writing tests is difficult. (I'll even propose that, unless you're adding
                          tests to a system that has none, it *shouldn't* be difficult. If it is,
                          you're not coding for testability and you're asking for trouble.)

                          Okay, my analyst hat is off. Feel free to jump on this thread with
                          evangelism if anyone has questions.

                          * * * * *

                          As for your Test::Harness question, use h2xs to make a skeleton Makefile.PL
                          for your project. Put your tests in the t/ subdirectory, edit the @INC paths
                          if needed, and run 'perl Makefile.PL; make; make test' and it should Just
                          Work.

                          Now you know just about as much as I care to remember about the whole process.

                          -- c
                        • Drew Taylor
                          Message 12 of 20 , Feb 7, 2002
                            At 11:45 PM 2/6/2002 -0700, chromatic wrote:

                            ><snip> excellent points </snip>

                            >I'm only sympathetic to the coders who don't yet know how and those who think
                            >writing tests is difficult. (I'll even propose that, unless you're adding
                            >tests to a system that has none, it *shouldn't* be difficult. If it is,
                            >you're not coding for testability and you're asking for trouble.)

                            All your points are right on the money. I would venture to guess that most
                            "good" programmers would not be against writing tests. IMHO, it's usually
                            managements edicts & timelines that forces the lack of tests. As for the
                            last point, I read somewhere (perhaps in one of Steve McConnell's books)
                            that a study found it takes magnitudes of more time/money to fix a bug
                            after the fact that to fix it before. And if it negatively affects a
                            customer, then multiply that cost by several factors for pissed off said
                            customer. If only management could be made to understand this fact, getting
                            tests would be much simpler. If I ever get a fulltime job again, I
                            certainly will push for good tests, even if it's just unit tests.

                            I was once one of those people who didn't understand how easy it is to
                            write tests. Yes, it took some time to get a good test environment setup,
                            but it was worth the few hous it took. And now I can easily and _quickly_
                            add new tests. Modules like Test::Simple & Test::More are the key.

                            >As for your Test::Harness question, use h2xs to make a skeleton Makefile.PL
                            >for your project. Put your tests in the t/ subdirectory, edit the @INC paths
                            >if needed, and run 'perl Makefile.PL; make; make test' and it should Just
                            >Work.

                            That's almost too easy... But then, this IS perl we're talking about. :-)

                            [OT] As an aside, why is it that when I do Reply TO All in Eudora that the
                            mailing list is on the to line twice, rather than the poster & the list?
                            It's rather annoying since that is my usual behavior. Or is this considered
                            bad form? I've never gotten a good answer on this question.

                            Message 13 of 20 , Feb 7, 2002
                              Hi all,

                              On Thu, 7 Feb 2002, Drew Taylor wrote:

                              > At 11:45 PM 2/6/2002 -0700, chromatic wrote:
                              [snip]
                              > managements edicts & timelines that forces the lack of tests. As for the
                              > last point, I read somewhere (perhaps in one of Steve McConnell's books)
                              > that a study found it takes magnitudes of more time/money to fix a bug
                              > after the fact that to fix it before. And if it negatively affects a
                              > customer, then multiply that cost by several factors for pissed off said
                              > customer. If only management could be made to understand this fact...

                              See attached.

                              I once had to fly to seven or eight different countries over a period
                              of several weeks to fix a $0.25 problem in a couple of hundred $22,000
                              instruments because the guy in procurement had ignored my written
                              procurement specification and the guy in test had ignored my written
                              test secification. The problems only started to surface when the
                              instruments were used in hot places.

                              It still bugs me that I didn't send a bill to their employer, who was
                              my supplier and contracted to make the things to the specification.

                              It's called experience.

                              73,
                              Ged.

                              Message 14 of 20 , Feb 8, 2002
                                > How do you do that? I've only heard of tools that allow you to create a
                                > script and then playback that script. This is semiuseful, but what happens
                                > if you make a change to the interface?

                                The first step is to make sure your interface has structure. If you
                                are testing arbitrarily constructed templates, you're going to have a
                                rough time. If you build your HTML pages from widgets or
                                parameterized templates, you'll have some structure to grab on to.

                                > What tools/techniques have you used
                                > in the past to do acceptance testing?

                                The best tool is perl. We used it to test our CORBA based Web server,
                                and we use it to test our application written in perl. It is not very
                                hard to build an acceptance test suite using tools like LWP and
                                HTMLParser.

                                I am a little behind schedule. My goal is to release our internal
                                infrastructure by the end of the month. It will come with a test
                                suite which tests our pet shop demo (http://petshop.bivio.biz).

                                > Do I have to setup a fake web server
                                > environment & run the tests that way?

                                I find for acceptance testing you need a test environment which is as
                                close to your production environment as possible. Any of our
                                developers can run the test suite on their personal Web servers.
                                Every night we run the test suite against our test servers, which are
                                relatively clean machines.

                                > good. What I'm ultimately interested in learning is better design. Learning
                                > patterns is one step, and working to see the problem from a higher level
                                > view are two things I'm doing now.

                                To me, there are two sides: analysis and synthesis. Patterns are
                                about synthesis. XP is about analysis. I'm not a big fan of
                                patterns, because they're very focused on classical object-oriented
                                programming, and I try to program declaratively whenever I can. In
                                addition, languages like Java, have some serious deficiencies such as
                                weak ability to delegate and no class level inheritance.

                                I find reading books about Lisp, functional programming, and logic
                                programming expands my solution set much better than reading a book
                                about design patterns.

                                > OK. Why don't they just say that? :-) I know that at high levels it's
                                > essential that we're all speaking the same language, but can't that
                                > language be simpler?

                                It is really hard to write cogent prose, which addresses a wide
                                audience. They're just some concepts which are hard to explain in
                                simpler language. I'm reading a book by Einstein which is incredibly
                                well written but I have a really hard time understanding his
                                discussions about the special theory and general theory of
                                relativity. That's why I'm a programmer, I guess.

                                > anyway. Besides, they're probably a little afraid of all the little bugs it
                                > might turn up. ;-)
                                >
                                > Could this be a hidden reason some shops are wary of tests?

                                I don't think so. In general, people have a hard time quantifying
                                quality. If it works in the general case, it may be enough. The user
                                base may be small. I really like Gerry Weinberg's comments on quality
                                in his book "Quality Software Management: Vol. 1 Systems Thinking":

                                The Quality Statement: Every statement about quality is a statement about some
                                person(s).

                                The Political Dilemma: More quality for one person may mean less
                                quality for another.

                                The Quality Decision: Whose opinion of quality is to count when making
                                decisions?

                                The Inadequate Definition of Quality: Quality is the absence of error.

                                The Absence of Errors Fallacy: Though copious errors guarantees
                                worthlessness, having zero errors guarantees nothing at all about the
                                value of software.

                                I highly recommend the book.

                                Rob
                              • Stas Bekman
                                Message 15 of 20 , Feb 21, 2002
                                  Rob Nagler wrote:

                                  >>What tools/techniques have you used
                                  >>in the past to do acceptance testing?
                                  >>

                                  > The best tool is perl. We used it to test our CORBA based Web server,
                                  > and we use it to test our application written in perl. It is not very
                                  > hard to build an acceptance test suite using tools like LWP and
                                  > HTMLParser.
                                  >
                                  > I am a little behind schedule. My goal is to release our internal
                                  > infrastructure by the end of the month. It will come with a test
                                  > suite which tests our pet shop demo (http://petshop.bivio.biz).
                                  >

                                  >>Do I have to setup a fake web server
                                  >>environment & run the tests that way?
                                  >>

                                  > I find for acceptance testing you need a test environment which is as
                                  > close to your production environment as possible. Any of our
                                  > developers can run the test suite on their personal Web servers.
                                  > Every night we run the test suite against our test servers, which are
                                  > relatively clean machines.

                                  Since you are talking about testing apps against webserver, I'd plug in
                                  the new Apache::Test framework which most Apache::* modules' and
                                  frameworks' developers will find very helpful. The goal is to have every
                                  Apache::* module needing mod_perl or just plain apache env, use
                                  Apache::Test for its test. There is no more excuses for not having
                                  tests. And if something is missing from its functionality now it's the
                                  time to jump in and ask for it/add it.

                                  httpd-test project is using this Perl framework for testing C modules
                                  for Apache 1.3 and 2.0 and the server itself. And of course originally
                                  it was developed for mod_perl 2.0. The same test suite can work with
                                  httpd 1.3 and httpd 2.0. For more info see:
                                  http://perl.apache.org/preview/modperl-site/docs/2.0/devel/testing/testing.html

                                  Once we release the new modperl site (hopefully in a few weeks) this URL
                                  will appear as:
                                  http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/devel/testing/testing.html

                                  I've started mentioning XP in this doc and mention reasons for a need to
                                  test, but more work in needed so your help is very welcome.

                                  To get the framework grab the httpd-test rep from cvs or the snapshot:
                                  http://cvs.apache.org/snapshots/modperl-2.0/

                                  also see:
                                  http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/httpd-test/perl-framework/README?rev=1.8&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

                                  Stas Bekman JAm_pH -- Just Another mod_perl Hacker
                                  http://stason.org/ mod_perl Guide http://perl.apache.org/guide
                                  mailto:stas@... http://ticketmaster.com http://apacheweek.com