Re: [extremeperl] Book: Higher Order Perl

    Message 1 of 58 , Mar 26, 2005
      On 25 Mar 2005, at 16:59, Chris Winters wrote:

      > On Mar 25, 2005, at 11:42 AM, Rob Nagler wrote:
      >> We just got our copy of Higher Order Perl by Mark Jason Dominus. I
      >> did a quick scan through, and it is extremely impressive. It's a
      >> monumental work.
      >
      > I haven't scanned through the whole thing yet but I wholeheartedly
      > agree.
      [snip]

      Thirded. Extraordinarily nice book, showing a bunch of very useful
      techniques that many Perl programmers seem unfamiliar with in my
      experience.

      Although it has made me want to get back into Lisp again - which
      probably wasn't the books purpose :-)

      Message 58 of 58 , Apr 8, 2005
        Greg C wrote:

        > Consider: projects A and B have identical goals. In project A, you
        > have free
        > rein in your choice of software and hardware tools. However, the
        > manager sets
        > arbitrary deadlines, likes to stand behind people and criticize their
        > code as
        > they type,

        Wait. That sounds like Rob ....
        ;c) (kidding)

        > On project B, the choice of langauge and hardware are made for you and
        > there's
        > only one computer per two programmers. On the other hand, the manager
        > sees his
        > people as people, negotiates requirements and schedules on a realistic
        > basis,
        > trusts his people, follows a set of best practices (be it XP or some
        > other) and
        > chases everyone out of the office at 5:30.

        Wait. That *also* sounds like Rob ...

        :c)

        (not kidding!)