Re: [extremeperl] Book: Higher Order Perl

  • Chris Winters
    Message 1 of 58 , Mar 25, 2005
      On Mar 25, 2005, at 11:42 AM, Rob Nagler wrote:
      > We just got our copy of Higher Order Perl by Mark Jason Dominus. I
      > did a quick scan through, and it is extremely impressive. It's a
      > monumental work.

      I haven't scanned through the whole thing yet but I wholeheartedly
      agree. I like his approach of just diving into the subject -- he
      doesn't tell you: "Okay, here's why learning recursion is useful" and
      then show you recursion. He just starts giving problems, showing you
      how recursion solves them, and along the way shows you why it's useful
      in other problems too.

      It's very much like the approach from "Conference Presentation Judo":

      http://perl.plover.com/yak/presentation/

      > It doesn't mention agile programming specifically, but it gives you
      > many tools you need to be an agile perl programmer. It includes an
      > entire chapter on declarative programming, for example.

      > Buy a paper copy if you like it. At 582 pages, it's worth the
      > printing costs alone.

      And it's not printed on cheap-o paper, either!

      Chris

      --
      Chris Winters
      Creating enterprise-capable snack systems since 1988
      Message 58 of 58 , Apr 8, 2005
        Greg C wrote:

        > Consider: projects A and B have identical goals. In project A, you
        > have free
        > rein in your choice of software and hardware tools. However, the
        > manager sets
        > arbitrary deadlines, likes to stand behind people and criticize their
        > code as
        > they type,

        Wait. That sounds like Rob ....
        ;c) (kidding)

        > On project B, the choice of langauge and hardware are made for you and
        > there's
        > only one computer per two programmers. On the other hand, the manager
        > sees his
        > people as people, negotiates requirements and schedules on a realistic
        > basis,
        > trusts his people, follows a set of best practices (be it XP or some
        > other) and
        > chases everyone out of the office at 5:30.

        Wait. That *also* sounds like Rob ...

        :c)

        (not kidding!)