Book: Higher Order Perl

    Message 1 of 58 , Mar 25 8:42 AM
      We just got our copy of Higher Order Perl by Mark Jason Dominus. I
      did a quick scan through, and it is extremely impressive. It's a
      monumental work.

      It doesn't mention agile programming specifically, but it gives you
      many tools you need to be an agile perl programmer. It includes an
      entire chapter on declarative programming, for example.

      His writing is lucid and the book covers many weighty topics. I
      recommend you pick up a copy.

      He'll also be making it available on the web at some point which is
      extremely admirable. The book page contains links to some chapters so
      you can try before you buy:

      http://perl.plover.com/hop

      Buy a paper copy if you like it. At 582 pages, it's worth the
      printing costs alone.

      Message 58 of 58 , Apr 8, 2005
        Greg C wrote:

        > Consider: projects A and B have identical goals. In project A, you
        > have free
        > rein in your choice of software and hardware tools. However, the
        > manager sets
        > arbitrary deadlines, likes to stand behind people and criticize their
        > code as
        > they type,

        Wait. That sounds like Rob ....
        ;c) (kidding)

        > On project B, the choice of langauge and hardware are made for you and
        > there's
        > only one computer per two programmers. On the other hand, the manager
        > sees his
        > people as people, negotiates requirements and schedules on a realistic
        > basis,
        > trusts his people, follows a set of best practices (be it XP or some
        > other) and
        > chases everyone out of the office at 5:30.

        Wait. That *also* sounds like Rob ...

        :c)

        (not kidding!)