Re: [extremeperl] shouldn't all datatables be timestamped?

  • shanker nagarajan
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 10, 2005
      The document says it works for 4.1.x or above.
      Create a table with timestamp column with default as
      current_timestamp so you can avoid the INSERT load.
      CREATE TABLE tmp (

      ts2 TIMESTAMP DEFAULT CURRENT_TIMESTAMP
      ON UPDATE CURRENT_TIMESTAMP);

      -Shanker

      --- Terrence Brannon <terry@...> wrote:

      > During development, I often want to quickly see if a
      > table just
      > successfully inserted a new record.
      >
      > In MySQL, a field can be used this way. Are there
      > any drawbacks to
      > using such a field? Of course inserts will be a bit
      > slower. But it is
      > certainly useful in a dev environment.

      =====
      Shankar Nagarajan,
      Flat# S10, S11, 2nd Floor,
      Etinasarva-2 Apts, Begur Road,
      Bommanahalli, BANGALORE, KA, IN.
      Cell: 91-98454-72242

      http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
    • chromatic
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 10, 2005
        On Tue, 2005-01-11 at 01:23 +0000, Terrence Brannon wrote:

        > During development, I often want to quickly see if a table just
        > successfully inserted a new record.
        >
        > In MySQL, a field can be used this way. Are there any drawbacks to
        > using such a field? Of course inserts will be a bit slower. But it is
        > certainly useful in a dev environment.

        I prefer to count the number of rows before and after an operation
        instead of relying on the side effect of a change to hint that the right
        thing happened.

        -- c
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 11, 2005
          On 11 Feb 2005, at 00:44, chromatic wrote:
          > On Tue, 2005-01-11 at 01:23 +0000, Terrence Brannon wrote:
          >
          >> During development, I often want to quickly see if a table just
          >> successfully inserted a new record.
          >>
          >> In MySQL, a field can be used this way. Are there any drawbacks to
          >> using such a field? Of course inserts will be a bit slower. But it is
          >> certainly useful in a dev environment.
          >
          > I prefer to count the number of rows before and after an operation
          > instead of relying on the side effect of a change to hint that the
          > right
          > thing happened.

          Ditto.

          I also have a /very/ strong aversion to having my development
          environment and live environments differ. I want to have the same tests
          run in the same way everywhere. Having things like database schema
          varying between dev/live scares me :-)

          Adrian
        • Ed Grimm
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 13, 2005
            On Thu, 10 Feb 2005, chromatic wrote:
            > On Tue, 2005-01-11 at 01:23 +0000, Terrence Brannon wrote:
            >
            >> During development, I often want to quickly see if a table just
            >> successfully inserted a new record.
            >>
            >> In MySQL, a field can be used this way. Are there any drawbacks to
            >> using such a field? Of course inserts will be a bit slower. But it is
            >> certainly useful in a dev environment.
            >
            > I prefer to count the number of rows before and after an operation
            > instead of relying on the side effect of a change to hint that the right
            > thing happened.

            Disclaimer: I code for an LDAP database, not a MySQL database. However,
            I think many principles still hold...

            Somehow, the natural thing to me would be to check for the data you're
            trying to add before you add it, verifying that it's not there, and then
            check for it after you add it, and verify that it's there. During a
            unit test of the database itself, I'd also check to make certain that
            the row counts have changed, and possibly, if I was being pedantic,
            checking the rest of the entries to make certain they've not vanished.

            But, if I'm not testing the database itself, and merely testing my code
            to work with the database, the fact that the new data is now in the
            database, and it wasn't before, is certainly sufficient for me to feel
            the data was, in fact, added.

            So far, this has only failed one time, when a coworker decided to have a
            process read the audit log, look for my additions, and delete them.
            (Given that my investigation technique was to check the logs, this
            didn't have quite the result he was looking for.)

            Ed