67Re: [extremeperl] Re: Online book: Extreme Programming with Perl

    Apr 27, 2004
      chudpi writes:
      > uses feedback to integrate towards a solution, rather than trying to
      > get it through a discontinuity." I'm not sure if I follow exactly
      > what Johannes means by discontinuity. I was wondering if you wouldn't
      > mind expanding on that statement?

      The best example of this I can think of is the development book
      itself. As far as you (the customer/user) are concerned, the
      introduction is a discontinuity, a major release. That's bad, because
      it is a disruptive event.

      Disruptions can be good with books, because they are outside of the
      flow of your work. That's what is fun about books. They make you
      think (hopefully :-).

      Disruption is bad with software, because software is hard to get
      right. If you continually disrupt people with big changes (Windows
      98, SE, ME, etc.), they won't use your software (unless you are a
      monopoly :-). If you transition with itty bitty changes, people
      accept the changes more readily. This is why Microsoft and others
      have moved to a "patch" model with automatic updates. Sure, I have to
      reboot my machine every now and then, but I don't really notice the
      change and the change isn't likely to disrupt my flow. The problem
      with Microsoft's patch model is that they aren't changing anything
      fundamentally.

      XP allows you to make fundamental changes a little bit at a time.
      This works at all levels (like Adrian mentioned).

      > Admitedly, XP is a concept quite new to me (hence my enthusiasm), so
      > this could be something obvious to the dwellers of this group. In
      > that case, I apologize for introducing redundancy.

      Discussion is good. XP is evolving. If we get to 10% of the traffic
      of extremeprogramming@yahoogroups, we can consider creating a faq for
      these types of things.

      > The rest of what I had marked were simple formatting errors I noticed,
      > which will probably get hashed out in editing anyway. Please let me
      > know if you would like me to send you a list of these anyway.

      Please do. You are the acceptance test of the book. I try to fix
      little errors pretty quickly so they don't annoy others.

      Thanks for the feedback.