27Re: [extremeperl] Re: Testing, Audience, etc.

  • Drew Taylor
    Feb 7, 2002
      At 11:45 PM 2/6/2002 -0700, chromatic wrote:

      ><snip> excellent points </snip>

      >I'm only sympathetic to the coders who don't yet know how and those who think
      >writing tests is difficult. (I'll even propose that, unless you're adding
      >tests to a system that has none, it *shouldn't* be difficult. If it is,
      >you're not coding for testability and you're asking for trouble.)

      All your points are right on the money. I would venture to guess that most
      "good" programmers would not be against writing tests. IMHO, it's usually
      managements edicts & timelines that forces the lack of tests. As for the
      last point, I read somewhere (perhaps in one of Steve McConnell's books)
      that a study found it takes magnitudes of more time/money to fix a bug
      after the fact that to fix it before. And if it negatively affects a
      customer, then multiply that cost by several factors for pissed off said
      customer. If only management could be made to understand this fact, getting
      tests would be much simpler. If I ever get a fulltime job again, I
      certainly will push for good tests, even if it's just unit tests.

      I was once one of those people who didn't understand how easy it is to
      write tests. Yes, it took some time to get a good test environment setup,
      but it was worth the few hous it took. And now I can easily and _quickly_
      add new tests. Modules like Test::Simple & Test::More are the key.

      >As for your Test::Harness question, use h2xs to make a skeleton Makefile.PL
      >for your project. Put your tests in the t/ subdirectory, edit the @INC paths
      >if needed, and run 'perl Makefile.PL; make; make test' and it should Just
      >Work.

      That's almost too easy... But then, this IS perl we're talking about. :-)

      [OT] As an aside, why is it that when I do Reply TO All in Eudora that the
      mailing list is on the to line twice, rather than the poster & the list?
      It's rather annoying since that is my usual behavior. Or is this considered
      bad form? I've never gotten a good answer on this question.

      Drew
      Drew Taylor JA[P|m_p|SQL]H
      http://www.drewtaylor.com/ Just Another Perl|mod_perl|SQL Hacker
      mailto:drew@... *** God bless America! ***