239Re: [extremeperl] Book: Higher Order Perl

    Apr 7, 2005
      . . . Research into development has shown that the impact of project
      management outweighs the impact of the choice of languages (and
      development tools and programming techniques) by enormous margins --
      at least ten to one. . . .

      I would posit that this is because of one simple factor - if you have
      good project management, you have good specifications management. I
      know on my projects (both work and personal), the hardest thing to do
      is specs / requirements / API. I run into this all the time with
      Excel::Template. All I'm doing is wrapping Spreadsheet::WriteExcel,
      yet I have around 50% of his functions wrapped. Part of that is YAGNI,
      but part of it (like merged cells) is because there is no consensus on
      how the developer should specify that -these- cells are merged
      together, but -those- are not. "It's the specs, stupid!"

      You know, each of us has the necessary skills to program a true AI.
      The only problem is that we don't have sufficiently-detailed

    • Show all 58 messages in this topic