22Re: [extremeperl] Re: Testing, Audience, etc.

    Feb 6, 2002
      Drew Taylor writes:
      > At 11:49 AM 2/6/2002 -0800, chromatic wrote:
      > >How about some brainstorming then? Here are several benefits of writing
      > >tests, in no particular order:

      I like to distinguish between acceptance and unit tests. For unit
      tests, I would add:

      - to validate the API
      - to enable refactoring
      - to keep the cost of change constant

      A unit test suite is like a semantic compiler. In dynamic languages,
      like Perl, there needs to be something to validate the code.

      For acceptance tests, I would add:

      - to encode concisely the domain knowledge of the customer
      - to help the development team understand the problem

      > Oh geez, I hope I'm not becoming a zealot. Not that it would be a bad thing...

      Praise the Tests brother!

    • Show all 20 messages in this topic