210Re: [extremeperl] Re: I almost had a heart attack: you call that refactoring???

    Apr 2 4:43 AM
      Rob Kinyon <rob.kinyon@...> writes:

      > That kind of thinking is a shallow solution to the problem of a
      > repeated section of work. What if the repeated code isn't the correct
      > formulation of the abstract solution?

      The repeated code can be in a sub like Jim said. The third time, you
      simply rework the *sub* so it works with all 3 uses. If you lollygag
      around and copy it, you might forget about it. Or someone else might
      come along and not know about it.

      In fact, I will say for large systems, the goal is to move to modules
      or "Business Objects" immediately. Almost nothing should be done in
      the "action" part of your code but calling Business Actions from
      Business Objects... ever.

      > I don't know what kind of parameters it will need or what kind of API
      > it will need the first or second times I use a piece of code. By the
      > -third- time, I have a much clearer concept and I can now refactor
      > with confidence.

      No, I don't agree and stated why above.

      > Don't have the kneejerk reaction of "Must never repeat code!"

      I work at a place where we have the exact same business calculations
      in easily 5 places in the code and probably 10. This happens because
      no one had a set of Business Objects to add functionality to. They
      simply went in and k0ded a solution to their problem. And someone else
      did. And someone else quit. And someone new came along and did it
      again. And someone else did it for the other product. And someone else
      did it inside of HTML::Mason.... and when I ask to clean it up, I get
      treated like that unwanted Bible salesman who interrupts your day on
      Saturday.

      So yes, I have become very aggressive about this issue because it is
      easy to lose sight of repeated functionality in big systems where you
      are under time pressure.

      > Often, it is useful to repeat code initially so that refactoring is
      > more productive.

      Well, let's see. Jim + Terrence = 2 against.
      Rob N. + Rob K. = 2 for.

      We are in a deadlock.