203Re: [extremeperl] Logic Programming in Perl -- Just say no

    Mar 31, 2005
      Curtis Poe writes:
      > need to. The question is, "what problems are better suited to Prolog?"
      > No one's building theorem proving systems in Perl, to the best of my
      > knowledge.

      http://www.symbolicdata.org/

      Google is your friend:

      http://www.google.com/search?q=%22theorem+proving%22+perl

      > So, since you're so convinced that you really don't need to learn
      > languages in other paradigms in order to understand them (you can learn
      > all you want about France from the internet, right?), I have to ask:
      > have you had any serious exposure to any of these languages? If so,
      > which ones? (C and Java would be awful examples).

      This conversation isn't about me. I thought it was about how one
      becomes a better programmer. My thesis is that today, programmers
      should pick a multi-paradigm programming language, such as Python,
      Perl, Ruby, Lisp, etc. and work in a group that applies agile
      practices, in particular, extreme refactoring.

      A budding programmer should be able to realize when the pond she's
      programming in has grown too small and move on to a larger pond, i.e.,
      a company which has more experienced programmers. After 10 or 20
      years of this unglamorous regimen, our startlet will become a star if
      she has the raw talent and gumption.

      That's the recipe. If the programmer has to learn new tools along the
      way, they will add to her experience. It doesn't matter what the
      tools are. Sometimes it's mismatched tools like Eunice and other
      times it's cool operating systems like Linux. The important part is
      that the programmer sees her co-workers as peers and people from whom
      she can learn. They'll show her the cool bits in any of these tools,
      or explain how they would improve the tools if the boss would let them
      at it.