199Re: [extremeperl] Book: Higher Order Perl

  • Adam Turoff
    Mar 31, 2005
      On Mar 31, 2005, at 1:07 AM, Rob Nagler wrote:
      > Adam Turoff writes:
      >> Refactoring your way into a DSL is certainly one way to do it. I'd
      >> argue that designing a DSL is a better way to do it.
      >
      > In XP, we call this Big Design Up Front.

      No, you're using BDUF to be dismissive of DSLs. DSLs can be
      lightweight.

      > It implies that you are
      > already a domain and programming expert.

      Um, no it doesn't.

      At $WORK, I'm managing with a DSL to configure webapps. It's in XML
      because the people who will work with it already grok XML, and anything
      else (even YAML) represents extra effort. The "language" (if you can
      call it that) describes a simple domain -- the 17 knobs and dials that
      can be tweaked in these products. The programming effort is exceedingly
      modest.

      These files are processed and converted into classes at runtime. You
      can dismiss this as "just a config file", but this looks, acts, smells
      and behaves just like a DSL. No BDUF whatsoever.

      -- Adam
    • Show all 58 messages in this topic