181Re: [extremeperl] Book: Higher Order Perl

  • Curtis Poe
    Mar 30, 2005
      On Mar 30, 2005, at 8:12 PM, Terrence Brannon wrote:

      > >> In a strongly typed functional language, reasoning by proof gives
      > you
      > >> 100% _certainty_ that a certain function works for all input.
      > There is
      > >> no need to test.
      > >
      > > Surely you left off the disclaimer that you have defined the
      > function
      > > correctly
      >
      > I did but a function is a small clear statement about how input(s)
      > transform into output reliably, time after time, without fail and
      > without intermediate state.

      Well, the still doesn't do it. Even if you can prove a small section
      of the code is correct, that does not necessarily mean that it's
      complete. Further, as various components fit together, you still have
      trouble proving that the entire system is both complete and correct.
      To say that there is no need to test is an indication of a) unclear
      thinking, or b) me coming in late to the discussion and missing some
      context.

      Cheers,
      Ovid