124refactoring databases

  • Perrin Harkins
    Feb 17, 2005
      Hi Rob,

      I was talking to some of my co-workers the other day about managing
      changes to databases on a system that has a version in production
      already. There was a thread I remember reading, possibly on the
      mod_perl list, and possibly by you, about a technique for managing
      schema changes by treating everything after the initial design as an
      update script, i.e. always using ALTER TABLE and the like. I recall
      someone complaining about how that would become hard to manage and there
      was discussion of rolling up all the changes every now and then into a
      new starting point.

      Does this sound like something you posted? I can't seem to find it, and
      I wanted to re-read it. Even if it wasn't you, any advice about
      managing database changes would be welcome, since I remember you saying
      you made lots of ongoing schema changes on your projects even after
      launching them.

      - Perrin
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic