122the LectroTest framework for Perl

  • bauhaus@metaperl.com
    Feb 17, 2005
      QUOTE:

      Unit testing is like finding needles in a haystack. The haystack is
      your code's behavior. The needles are erroneous behavior.

      Traditional unit testing practices require us to point out to the
      computer each and every piece of hay in the haystack that we want to
      check for errors. Hey, computer, check that piece of hay, please. Now
      this one. Now this one, too. And over here, thank you. And, yes, that
      one, too... That's a tedious process that grows old fast.

      LectroTesting is different. Rather than pointing out the individual
      pieces of hay, we merely point out the shape of the haystack. We also
      tell the computer what a needle looks like, in general, so it will
      know if it sees one along the way.

      The computer takes care of the rest. It hunts through the haystack
      until it finds a needle or we tell it to stop. If it finds a needle,
      it outputs a counterexample t wrong, and we can add it to a list of
      regression tests for future testing.

      That's the idea, in a nutshell. A much better explanation can be found
      in the slides for my talk on LectroTest.

      SOURCE: http://community.moertel.com/ss/space/LectroTest

      CPAN module:

      [29] Test-LectroTest-0.201 - Easy, automatic, specification-based
      tests
      Uploaded: 16 Feb 2005
      CPAN id: TMOERTEL (Tom Moertel)
      Package: Test-LectroTest-0.201