1CPAN and XP

    Jan 28, 2002
      Stas and I were having a conversation. I'm moving it here, because it
      is exactly the type of stuff I need to understand better.

      Stas Bekman writes:
      > Hmm, Isn't debug an essential part of the XP?

      Not per se. It's a given, like breathing. My focus in the book is on
      things that aren't really covered in other Perl or XP books while
      giving a little background. For example, I'll mention pair
      programming, but it's covered ad nauseum elsewhere. While I did take
      time to discuss pair testing which is only briefly touched on in most
      XP books. In general, testing is really important in Perl, because of
      its dynamism.

      > I think CPAN doesn't contradict XP, since most its users are non-XP'ers.
      > Imagine the headache for the authors if they had to respond to the
      > problems that are being in the progress of fixing.

      It's very tough to talk about CPAN modules and XP, because they don't
      apply OO principles consistently. I consider consistency, OO and,
      information hiding to be prerequisites for refactoring. XP requires
      the team agree on a coding style which is the anthesis of TIMTOWTDI.

      > So you get the CVS access to the sources of CPAN modules you need to
      > work with. e.g. your book is anti-XP then, as you don't let the readers
      > the CVS access :) Not sure whether XP applies to documentation, (which
      > is the case with the book).

      Readers are customers. Customers don't code. Customers write
      stories, and developers implement them. XP mandates a hardline
      between these two activities. OS development is tangential to the XP
      approach. I could see a collocated developing OS. I don't see very
      many OS projects applying XP practices. In particular, discussions in
      OS between users and developers are often centered on how to implement
      something (sending in patches, discussing architecture, what other
      packages are applicable, etc.). XP is about empowering customers to
      decide the "what" and the developer to decide "how".

      > I've heard here and there about XP, including chromatic's talk at OSC.
      > But I didn't have a chance to read more about it, just yet. So I'm
      > looking forward to getting educated while reading/reviewing your book.

      To me, it is a lot of stuff I've been already doing. It's nice that
      it is served up in a bite-sized meal. Certainly makes it easy to
      write about. :)