[expman] Re: Newbie thinking of using EM

  • Richard D. Hornbaker
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 19, 2007
      Hi, Martin.

      The "other Richard" :-) already tackled your question, but I wanted to
      add some detail to my previous post for future reference. Here it is...

      -------------

      The EM FAQ mentions that the DNS CNAME needs to be setup first - this
      really is important. If you try the EM step first, it'll fail the CNAME
      verification; worse, DNS caches this "negative lookup" for up to 24
      hours and CNAME verifications will keep failing. So if you do them out
      of order, you may have to wait ~24 hours between steps.

      -------------

      Yes, GoDaddy includes this feature already, and it works great. Here
      are the text steps to go along with JJ's screenshots in the Yahoo photos
      section.

      In GoDaddy's interface...
      2) Go to Domains
      3) Select the domain name you want to modify
      4) Select "Total DNS Control and MX Records" near the bottom left of the
      page
      5) Click "Add New CNAME Record"
      6) Enter an Alias Name = photos
      Points to Host Name = accounts.exposuremanager.com

      This will add a new alias photos.yourdomainname.com, which maps to EM
      behind the scenes (the users won't see EM). You also need to do the
      step in EM to map this name to your gallery.

      Since GoDaddy creates a default "www" alias, the steps are only slightly
      different:
      5) Click the pencil button next to "www" to edit it
      6) Change the Host Name from "@" to accounts.exposuremanager.com

      To check if it's active & correct:
      A) In Windows, Start | Run | cmd <enter>
      B) At the prompt, type:
      nslookup photos.yourdomainname.com <enter>
      * You may get a timeout the first time; try again
      * When it's active, the output will look like:
      C:>nslookup photos.yourdomainname.com
      Server: ns2.myisp.net
      Address: 12.3.45.67
      Non-authoritative answer:
      Name: accounts.exposuremanager.com
      Addresses: 66.254.91.235, 66.254.91.236
      Aliases: photos.yourdomainname.com
      * The last 3 lines here are the important part. It confirms the alias
      maps all the way to 1 or more IP addresses (which *could* be different
      than shown here, but this isn't likely)

      Once the DNS lookup works, goto EM and setup the alias there. This
      tells EM to show your gallery when clients come looking for
      "photos.yourdomainname.com". (Until you do this last step, visitors to
      your new alias will get an error page from EM saying "this gallery is
      not public".)

      Done!

      Cheers,
      Richard

      martin_caie wrote:
      > Hi Richard, can you please tell me exactly how to do this on Go
      > Daddy? I've tried entering the relevant details in the relevant
      > fields but it doesn't seem to be right.
      >
      > Cheers
      > Martin
    • charlyawilliams
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 21, 2007
        I did it in Go Daddy by going to:
        My Account
        Manage Domain Forwarding
        Domain Forwarding

        --- In expman@yahoogroups.com, "Richard D. Hornbaker" <Richard@...>
        wrote:

> [...]
        > * The last 3 lines here are the important part. It confirms the
        alias
        > maps all the way to 1 or more IP addresses (which *could* be
        different
        > than shown here, but this isn't likely)
        >

        > Once the DNS lookup works, goto EM and setup the alias there. This
        > tells EM to show your gallery when clients come looking for
        > "photos.yourdomainname.com". (Until you do this last step,
        visitors to
        > your new alias will get an error page from EM saying "this gallery
        is
        > not public".)
        >
        > Done!
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Richard
        >

        > martin_caie wrote:
        > > Hi Richard, can you please tell me exactly how to do this on Go
        > > Daddy? I've tried entering the relevant details in the relevant

      • Martin Caie
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 21, 2007
          Domain forwarding is a different function. When you map the domain, that is the IP address that corresponds to the URL.

          wrote:

> [...]
          > * The last 3 lines here are the important part. It confirms the
          alias
          > maps all the way to 1 or more IP addresses (which *could* be
          different
          > than shown here, but this isn't likely)
          >

          > Once the DNS lookup works, goto EM and setup the alias there. This
          > tells EM to show your gallery when clients come looking for
          > "photos.yourdomainn ame.com". (Until you do this last step,
          visitors to
          > your new alias will get an error page from EM saying "this gallery
          is
          > not public".)
          >
          > Done!
          >
          > Cheers,
          > Richard
          >

          > martin_caie wrote:
          > > Hi Richard, can you please tell me exactly how to do this on Go
          > > Daddy? I've tried entering the relevant details in the relevant

        • Richard D. Hornbaker
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 21, 2007
            Hi, Charly.

            GoDaddy's Domain Forwarding feature is also useful, but works
            differently. I expect it overrides the DNS mapping feature we've been
            discussing.

            Domain Forwarding is an "HTTP Redirect", where the customer can type in
            widgets.yourdomain.com and ends up with yourname.exposuremanager.com in
            their address bar.

            It's useful for promoting a short URL to reach your gallery, but it
            doesn't hide EM from your users. If they bookmark the gallery, it'll
            still be something like yourname.exposuremanager.com/g/galleryname,
            which may not be what you're after.

            Where this feature is actually very useful... when you have multiple
            domain names (e.g., plurals or common mis-spellings) that you redirect
            to one domain name. (Then that domain name is used with Domain Mapping.)

            If you really want to hide EM behind your own domain name, you need to
            use the Domain Mapping instructions in my earlier note instead. (And
            probably disable GoDaddy Domain Forwarding for the domain when you do.)

            Cheers,
            Richard