Re: [expman] Re: Newbie thinking of using EM

  • Martin Caie
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 19, 2007
      Hey, thanks for that!

      Cheers
      Martin

      On 20/03/07, imhereforu4905 <imhereforu4905@...> wrote:

      Hi...

      I'm a different 'Richard' but I have successfully mapped my GoDaddy
      domain name to Exposure Manager. Here's how I did it:

      1. Log into your GoDaddy ACCOUNT.
      2. Click MANAGE DOMAINS
      3. Click ALL MY DOMAINS
      4. Click "yourdomainname.xxx"
      5. Find and click on TOTAL DNS CONTROL AND MX RECORDS
      6. Now click on the ADD NEW CNAME RECORD button.
      7. In the "Enter an Alias Name" box you would put your domain name,
      for example: www.yourdomainname.com
      8. In the "Points To Host Name" box you would put precisely put
      this: accounts.exposurema nager.com (double-check your spelling)

      Note: I just left the TTL (dropdown box) at it's default of "1 Hour"
      (not sure what it's for so I left it be)

      10. Lastly, you need to Log Into Exposure Manager, go to Account /
      Domain Mapping / and enter "www.yourdomainname.com" and click on the
      MAP DOMAIN button.

      That should do it!

      (They say it should be 'mapped' within 2-4 hours but mine only took
      about 2 minutes to get registered.)

      Good luck!

      Rich

      --- In expman@yahoogroups.com , "martin_caie" <martin.caie@...> wrote:

      > Hi Richard, can you please tell me exactly how to do this on Go
      > Daddy? I've tried entering the relevant details in the relevant
      > fields but it doesn't seem to be right.
      >
      > Cheers
      > Martin
      >
      > --- In expman@yahoogroups.com, "Richard D. Hornbaker" <Richard@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > charlyawilliams wrote:
      > > > Hi, I'm an ametuer photographer that is just getting her feet
      > wet with
      > > > jobs. I like what EM has to offer but does your webpage URL
      have
      > to be
      > > > xxx.exposuremanager.com ?
      > >
      > > No. EM also supports domain masking, where you can register
      > > www.yourdomain.com and point it to your EM site. Users can't
      tell
      > > you're running on EM until they get to the checkout.
      > >
      > > If you look in the recent history on this forum, there are
      detailed
      > > instructions. Domains can be had at GoDaddy.com for $9/yr
      > including the
      > > DNS service you need to make this work.
      > >
      > > Cheers,
      > > Richard

    • Richard D. Hornbaker
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 19, 2007
        Hi, Martin.

        The "other Richard" :-) already tackled your question, but I wanted to
        add some detail to my previous post for future reference. Here it is...

        -------------

        The EM FAQ mentions that the DNS CNAME needs to be setup first - this
        really is important. If you try the EM step first, it'll fail the CNAME
        verification; worse, DNS caches this "negative lookup" for up to 24
        hours and CNAME verifications will keep failing. So if you do them out
        of order, you may have to wait ~24 hours between steps.

        -------------

        Yes, GoDaddy includes this feature already, and it works great. Here
        are the text steps to go along with JJ's screenshots in the Yahoo photos
        section.

        In GoDaddy's interface...
        2) Go to Domains
        3) Select the domain name you want to modify
        4) Select "Total DNS Control and MX Records" near the bottom left of the
        page
        5) Click "Add New CNAME Record"
        6) Enter an Alias Name = photos
        Points to Host Name = accounts.exposuremanager.com

        This will add a new alias photos.yourdomainname.com, which maps to EM
        behind the scenes (the users won't see EM). You also need to do the
        step in EM to map this name to your gallery.

        Since GoDaddy creates a default "www" alias, the steps are only slightly
        different:
        5) Click the pencil button next to "www" to edit it
        6) Change the Host Name from "@" to accounts.exposuremanager.com

        To check if it's active & correct:
        A) In Windows, Start | Run | cmd <enter>
        B) At the prompt, type:
        nslookup photos.yourdomainname.com <enter>
        * You may get a timeout the first time; try again
        * When it's active, the output will look like:
        C:>nslookup photos.yourdomainname.com
        Server: ns2.myisp.net
        Address: 12.3.45.67
        Non-authoritative answer:
        Name: accounts.exposuremanager.com
        Addresses: 66.254.91.235, 66.254.91.236
        Aliases: photos.yourdomainname.com
        * The last 3 lines here are the important part. It confirms the alias
        maps all the way to 1 or more IP addresses (which *could* be different
        than shown here, but this isn't likely)

        Once the DNS lookup works, goto EM and setup the alias there. This
        tells EM to show your gallery when clients come looking for
        "photos.yourdomainname.com". (Until you do this last step, visitors to
        your new alias will get an error page from EM saying "this gallery is
        not public".)

        Done!

        Cheers,
        Richard

        martin_caie wrote:
        > Hi Richard, can you please tell me exactly how to do this on Go
        > Daddy? I've tried entering the relevant details in the relevant
        > fields but it doesn't seem to be right.
        >
        > Cheers
        > Martin
      • charlyawilliams
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 21, 2007
          I did it in Go Daddy by going to:
          My Account
          Manage Domain Forwarding
          Domain Forwarding

          wrote:

> [...]
          > * The last 3 lines here are the important part. It confirms the
          alias
          > maps all the way to 1 or more IP addresses (which *could* be
          different
          > than shown here, but this isn't likely)
          >

          > Once the DNS lookup works, goto EM and setup the alias there. This
          > tells EM to show your gallery when clients come looking for
          > "photos.yourdomainname.com". (Until you do this last step,
          visitors to
          > your new alias will get an error page from EM saying "this gallery
          is
          > not public".)
          >
          > Done!
          >
          > Cheers,
          > Richard
          >

          > martin_caie wrote:
          > > Hi Richard, can you please tell me exactly how to do this on Go
          > > Daddy? I've tried entering the relevant details in the relevant

        • Martin Caie
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 21, 2007
            Domain forwarding is a different function. When you map the domain, that is the IP address that corresponds to the URL.

            wrote:

> [...]
            > * The last 3 lines here are the important part. It confirms the
            alias
            > maps all the way to 1 or more IP addresses (which *could* be
            different
            > than shown here, but this isn't likely)
            >

            > Once the DNS lookup works, goto EM and setup the alias there. This
            > tells EM to show your gallery when clients come looking for
            > "photos.yourdomainn ame.com". (Until you do this last step,
            visitors to
            > your new alias will get an error page from EM saying "this gallery
            is
            > not public".)
            >
            > Done!
            >
            > Cheers,
            > Richard
            >

            > martin_caie wrote:
            > > Hi Richard, can you please tell me exactly how to do this on Go
            > > Daddy? I've tried entering the relevant details in the relevant

          • Richard D. Hornbaker
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 21, 2007
              Hi, Charly.

              GoDaddy's Domain Forwarding feature is also useful, but works
              differently. I expect it overrides the DNS mapping feature we've been
              discussing.

              Domain Forwarding is an "HTTP Redirect", where the customer can type in
              widgets.yourdomain.com and ends up with yourname.exposuremanager.com in
              their address bar.

              It's useful for promoting a short URL to reach your gallery, but it
              doesn't hide EM from your users. If they bookmark the gallery, it'll
              still be something like yourname.exposuremanager.com/g/galleryname,
              which may not be what you're after.

              Where this feature is actually very useful... when you have multiple
              domain names (e.g., plurals or common mis-spellings) that you redirect
              to one domain name. (Then that domain name is used with Domain Mapping.)

              If you really want to hide EM behind your own domain name, you need to
              use the Domain Mapping instructions in my earlier note instead. (And
              probably disable GoDaddy Domain Forwarding for the domain when you do.)

              Cheers,
              Richard