Re: [existlist] stars

  • Bill Harris
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 7, 2002
      Eduard, I saw a great show on the Hubble Space Telescope. They spoke of Carl Hubble and his pioneering work to define the galaxy. A NASA official talked about how his astronomer father had no idea of the age of this universe, no knowledge of where atoms came from, and no firm theories as to the beginnings and terminus of the universe. Like those religious crazies, we want it all and we want it now.
      Went to the museum and saw my favorite Giacocometti sculpture. It is called Pointing Figure. The sculptor was a friend of both Sartre and Camus. He would do a piece and tear it down, and redo it, again and again. In the end this gave a rough, ad hoc surface to his works. along with Eduard Bacon he was one of the artists deemed "Existential" . Bacon did the portrait of the screaming pope, perhaps Bacon was ahead of his time. Bill