Re: see it happen (short)

  • elbookdoc
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 6, 2002
      << The point made by John
      > Gibbon is that this single fly is that known in
      > our universe, along with all the subsequent events
      > that cascade from that encounter in the driveway.

      I don't mean to be cocky, but I somehow knew what I was going
      to say as soon as you responded and that it would affect exactly
      this:

      The fellow who had been drinking was a heavy, habitual drinker.
      He was prone to delirium. The fly was not real.

      Now you'll tell me it doesn't make a difference.

      I have a little trouble with the idea that all possible events *exist*,
      and that there are multiple universi (?) necessarily. Isn't that
      POTENTIAL that exists, rather than necessarily assuming other
      universes do? A pretty grand assumption -- especially for one
      like yourself (missouri be damned). I would be all with you if you
      were discussing perspective (each individual perspective is a
      universe), but to 'collapse' things: If the universe is not observed
      (or imagined), does it make a sound?

      Your perspective on Gibbon makes him sound like a duck.

      P. Littlebrain
    • eduard
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 6, 2002
        elbookdoc,

        << I have a little trouble with the idea that all
        possible events *exist*, and that there are
        multiple universi (?) necessarily. >>

        Yes, I have the same problem with the idea that
        there are multiple universes. It seems much to
        complex. But then it seems to provide an answer to
        the difficulty of dealing with the superposition
        of states. I suspect, however, that it has it has
        a certain attraction because it matches the
        mathematics. Actually, this whole thing is well
        beyond me and I guess I shall have to read some
        more books.

        I am now into a book, "God and the New Physics" by
        Paul Davies. What struck me whilst reading it
        last night, was the idea that the within the
        present universe, there is an inherent tendency
        for localized order out of the surrounding chaos.
        I don't have a specific quote, as this is more in
        the way of an impression I obtain in the reading.
        Although the universe, in general, tends towards
        overall chaos [high entropy], the formation of
        stars, galaxies, and life itself is towards order
        [low entropy]. I recall reading about the
        philosophical/religious outlook of the ancient
        Sumerians. In that they initiated the dualist
        idea of good and evil which I would put in terms
        of order and chaos respectively. The Egyptians
        had the same sort of outlook, with the pharaoh
        being the protector of society against chaos.
        From there one could develop a personal philosophy
        based upon our purpose as being to maintain and
        propagate order. This seems more pleasing than a
        simple purpose of propagating ourselves, as
        humans, through reproduction and such. Perhaps
        one could also look at it from an Existentialist
        viewpoint in that our choices produce ever
        increasing order. It fits as well with the idea
        that our choices are made for everyone.

        << Your perspective on Gibbon makes him sound like
        a duck.>>

        I don't understand this last comment.

        eduard
      • elbookdoc
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 6, 2002
          << Your perspective on Gibbon makes him sound like
          > a duck.>>
          >
          > I don't understand this last comment.>>

          Ducks go Quack.

          Mr. Mallard