quantum mechanics

  • eduard
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 4, 2002
      Well, I finished the book, "In Search of
      Schrodinger's Cat", by John Gibbons.

      He leads up to the point that there are multiple
      universes in order to account for the
      superposition of states ... the cat being both
      alive and dead at the same time. That when we
      open the box, we are thus establishing a branching
      into two universes; one in which the cat is alive
      and a second in which the cat is dead. If "we" in
      this universe, find the cat alive, then that is
      only a reflection of our particular position.
      Another observer in another universe might be
      typing on the internet and reporting that the cat
      is dead.

      I don't find this very satisfying. Although it is
      said that this concept is mathematically sound, it
      seems to me to be too complex.

      I have started reading a new book, "God and the
      New Physics", by Paul Davies. If anyone is
      interested, there is also a lot on quantum
      mechanics on the internet.