Re: [existlist] Re: On Spirituality as a Vase, Tipping as the Cat Crawls Under the Endtable

  • Edward Alf
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 8, 2001
      Richard et al,

      yes, that is the open question, " is there an inherent tendency towards the
      spiritual?" ...

      although i have not gotten that far into the study of human psychology, i
      would suspect that there are a lot of inherent tendencies, thus the whether
      we have inherent tendencies, or as i would prefer to say "wiring", is not
      the issue ... my opinion is that within the set of already available
      inherent tendencies one of these is towards the spiritual ...

      i agree that humans seek recognition of patterns .. this is the process of
      learning ... i should think that the first pattern search of the newborn
      child is that of his/her mother's face ... but the face can have extreme
      variations ... obviously this has to be the case, since there are millions
      of babies and associated millions of mothers ... so it is not a particular
      face which is of importance, but rather the inherent tendency to seek out a
      face for which a pattern can be imprinted on the child's mind ...

      i would prefer to say that pattern recognition is more in the line of trying
      to find order out of chaos ... it is like when you first are presented with
      using a road map ... initially it is just a bunch of lines, symbols and
      place names ... once you are clued into how to read a road map, it starts to
      make some sense ... in other words, in that chaos presented on a large piece
      of folded paper, you now have the means to understand and see an underlying
      order ...

      for me, existentialism makes some sense ... thus a certain level of order
      ... it fits ... yet my perception of order is not complete ... there has to
      be something extra .. granted others may not think so .. perhaps they are
      satisfied with concept of existence (being) and creating yourself and your
      world from that platform ... for myself, im still on the quest ...

      anyway that is a bit of rambling and i should stop there and wait some more
      input ...

      regards

      eduard
      p.s. im an electrical engineer and that may serve to give you a feel for
      my particular manner of thinking .... :-))