expanding universe

  • eduard
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 20, 2002
      The September issue of Discover magazine has an
      article that proposes the universe will expand
      forever, instead of reversing on itself and
      condensing into the Big Implosion. If you come
      back in 150 billion years, the only thing you will
      see is our galaxy and Andromeda. Somehow, I find
      this very satisfying.

      eduard
    • Bill Harris
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 20, 2002
        Eduard, That theory seemed very sound, total expansion. We will collide with andromeda ,however, and it is postulated the massive black holes at our galactic centers will merge. That is where Stephen Hawkings theory of neutron by neutron dissipation of the huge masses associated with the super massive black holes comes in.
        If , however this new business of a slowing of the speed of light is proven, all bets are off. I still cannot find the whole article, have you found it Eduard? Bill
        The September issue of Discover magazine has an
        article that proposes the universe will expand
        forever, instead of reversing on itself and
        condensing into the Big Implosion. If you come
        back in 150 billion years, the only thing you will
        see is our galaxy and Andromeda. Somehow, I find
        this very satisfying.

        eduard

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • eduard
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 20, 2002
          Bill,

          I will have to consult my back copies ... there
          are some web sites but I have not been able to go
          through them all .... get back to you on this one

          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 20, 2002
            <<If , however this new business of a slowing of the speed of light
            is proven, all bets are off. >>

            I see we are revising our revisionist science again to discover a new
            revision which will be revised.

            It is no wonder people who thought the world was round were killed.

            An interesting way to look at an expanding universe is like a bubble
            that a child is blowing...it increases in size until the resources
            are stretched so thin that it loses the ability to contain itself. It
            happens with bubbles. If the sun were to explode, earth would go
            hurtling off through...wherever (arguably in pieces or swallowed, but
            that's not the point). As mass dissapates and expands, less
            concentration may have less hold, leading to less concentration and
            more expansion. And how far does expansion continue until it is so
            slim to become unnoticeable, and nothing all over again. Not with a
            bang, but a wimper.

            I am not advocating anything, because I know nothing -- as 'Duard
            will tell you -- but in seconds thinking about the universe it is
            easy to come up with many scenarios and possibilities...none more
            provable than what I mention here. And I often find my imagination as
            good as anyone elses. Theories are fine, but the only reason to
            believe them is that you have a desire to. You might well believe in
            Santa.

            'Duard, god is the creator...right? Perhaps you'd best knit a sweater
            without the instructions and you'll step right from droll human to
            impotent...um, omnipotence.

            Frisky Weasel
            ----------------------------
          • Charles
            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 20, 2002
              elbookdoc,

              You often find your imagination as good as
              anyone elses and I wonder how you know that
              since you don't know anything, as
              'Duard will tell you. Hum, it makes me wonder
              about "interest", and a bubble expanding
              universe.

              Blowing Bubbles

[...]

              Our Home:
              (Includes community book list, chat, and
              more.)

              TO UNSUBSCRIBE from this group, send an email
              to:

              Yahoo! Terms of Service.

            • eduard
              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 20, 2002
                elbookdoc,

                <<< 'Duard, god is the creator...right? Perhaps
                you'd best knit a sweater
                without the instructions and you'll step right
                from droll human to
                impotent...um, omnipotence. >>>

                hmmm ... we were wondering when you might crawl
                out to make some useless comment.

                eduard
              • elbookdoc
                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 21, 2002
                  > You often find your imagination as good as
                  > anyone elses and I wonder how you know that
                  > since you don't know anything, as
                  > 'Duard will tell you. Hum, it makes me wonder
                  > about "interest", and a bubble expanding
                  > universe.

                  I live well within my own deceptions. I'm as confused as anyone.
                  Difference being, I am allowed, within my framework, to not feel like
                  an idiot for admitting it.

                  billowing blasphemy
                  -------------------------------------
                • elbookdoc
                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 21, 2002
                    > hmmm ... we were wondering when you might crawl
                    > out to make some useless comment.

                    Everything is useless when you find everything hopeless.

                    At least I have an interest.

                    Mr. Useless
                    ----------------------------
                  • eduard
                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 21, 2002
                      I guess so ... everyone needs some kind of
                      interest

                        Message 11 of 20 , Aug 21, 2002
                          <<Personally I NEED the speed of light to be a constant or I will
                          need many months of intense counseling.>>

                          If traveling at the speed of light (ok, near) with your light
                          spedometer, it would seem to me that as time slows that light would
                          not seem to go as fast. Granted it is perspective -- in that the
                          light is probably not changing -- but I would also imagine that as
                          you catch up to it it no longer seems like light, may tune in on your
                          radio, and could become distressingly noisy depending on how bright
                          it is. So if it isn't light, then what is?

                          I like the robber/lawyer symbiant idea.

                          to continue with bubbles...when matter spreads so thin that it loses
                          mass and energy dissapates to nothing...the speed of light stops and
                          the bubble bursts.

                          You can tell me why I am wrong about your science...but it seems to
                          me that it doesn't hold bubbles.

                          flatulent frank
                          --------------------------------
                        • Bill Harris
                          Message 12 of 20 , Aug 21, 2002
                            Bookdoc, Out at the distances in both time and space we encounter at the beginning and end of a cosmos it is only a low certainty guess. Whatever those beginnings and ends may turn out to be, our present guesses are probably more reliable than Titans on the front and jesus on the end.
                            The fear I am beginning to sense about our present, working engineering is that it is nearing it`s useful end. It has been gritty and dirty but it has served us well.
                            The exploratory wells drilled by ChevronTexaco in the late 1990`s are going to come in as expected. There is deep water gas and oil in the gulf of Mexico. We have known about it for many years. It will be expensive to extract. There is some hope of a new find off the shore near Cambodia. The North Sea fields are drying up. The Arctic fields are small. We can extract some oil from old wells by high pressure techniques. Some amount of crude needs to be saved for heavy lubricants and you can`t fly jet airliners on electricity. In our declining years we will find it increasingly expensive to heat our homes and travel . Science may have shot it`s bolt as far as mass practical application is concerned. You may be right, science may lose the power to positively affect our day to day lives. Pretty equations on a cold blackboard, in a dark room. Evolution knows nothing of progress and we can only change a finite amount to meet new situations. Would you consider it absurd to think elegant thoughts while freezing to death? Bill

                            Message 13 of 20 , Aug 21, 2002
                              Eduard, Sounds to me like uncle Burt is the only one knows what the hell he
                              is doing. BillFrom: "eduard" <yeoman@...>

                                Message 15 of 20 , Aug 21, 2002
                                  << I am beginning to sense about our present, working
                                  engineering is that it is nearing it`s useful end. >>

                                  One thing i would always do and simultanoeously never, is
                                  doubt. It will adapt and change as does theory and mathematics,
                                  and when the model is strained again...etc., I am not entirely
                                  convinced that early mathematicians were 'wrong' in that when
                                  they existed, perhaps the universe was that much different. That
                                  would be something to prove.

                                  A newer and better approximation awaits. Poke Duard in the
                                  shoulderblades and say 'stick-'em-up' and we'll have a valid
                                  volunteer.

                                  here-we-go-loopdy-lou
                                • Bill Harris

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Aug 22, 2002
                                      Bookdoc, I had this dream about a movie. It starts with a rutted wagon road and a calendar. It is 1900. A few wagons go by and the calendar flips slowly forward. A few model T`s show up, then more and the calendar flips faster. Soon the road is a two lane and is paved. Lot`s and lot`s of cars and flipping calendar pages. Then it is a freeway with millions of cars and the calendar reads 2000.
                                      Finally there are no cars, no calendar and a freeway overgrown with weeds. Bill

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Aug 30, 2002
                                        Bill,

                                        Could see this if one of two things happened:

                                        1) 'Duard became minister of fun and we all became bored into
                                        extinction.

                                        2) We evolved beyond roads.

                                        Doom Cough

                                        ----------------------------

                                        --- In existlist@y..., "Bill Harris" <valleywestdental@q...> wrote:
                                        > Bookdoc, I had this dream about a movie. It starts with a rutted
                                        wagon road and a calendar. It is 1900. A few wagons go by and the
                                        calendar flips slowly forward. A few model T`s show up, then more and
                                        the calendar flips faster. Soon the road is a two lane and is paved.
                                        Lot`s and lot`s of cars and flipping calendar pages. Then it is a
                                        freeway with millions of cars and the calendar reads 2000.
                                        > Finally there are no cars, no calendar and a freeway overgrown
                                        with weeds. Bill

                                        Service.

                                      • Charles
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Aug 30, 2002
                                          elbookdoc,

                                          I think you are an idiot too!!!

                                          Charles

                                          <valleywestdental@q...> wrote:
                                          > Bookdoc, I had this dream about a movie.
                                          It starts with a rutted
                                          wagon road and a calendar. It is 1900. A few
                                          wagons go by and the
                                          calendar flips slowly forward. A few model
                                          T`s show up, then more and
                                          the calendar flips faster. Soon the road is a
                                          two lane and is paved.
                                          Lot`s and lot`s of cars and flipping
                                          calendar pages. Then it is a
                                          freeway with millions of cars and the
                                          calendar reads 2000.
                                          > Finally there are no cars, no calendar and
                                          a freeway overgrown
                                          with weeds. Bill

                                          the Yahoo! Terms of
                                          Service.

                                          > [Non-text portions of this message have
                                          been removed]

                                          Message 20 of 20 , Sep 3, 2002
                                            > I think you are an idiot too!!!
                                            >
                                            > Charles

                                            Charlie boy,

                                            I was hardly poking at Bill, I respect the guy.

                                            If I could fathom what your outburst is in response to, I'd respond.
                                            However, I'm stupid as a brick, apparently.

                                            I call myself enough names, don't I? If it feels good, enjoy doing it
                                            some more:

                                            Bookdoc is a ____________________ (fill in the blank).
                                            Bookdoc is a ____________________ (fill in the blank).
                                            Bookdoc is a ____________________ (fill in the blank).
                                            Bookdoc is a ____________________ (fill in the blank).

                                            Hatred is like shoe polish: You can heap it on and it doesn't look so
                                            good...It's when you wipe it off that it really starts to shine.

                                            Biggerdolt Tanyou