Re: [existlist] neurons firing?

  • Edward Alf
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 5, 2001
      hi John,

      im not being dogmatic and dismissing other interpretations, but only
      recognizing that they are "interpretations" and this is done within the
      brain ... in the same sense, i dont dismiss the existence of a table, since
      if i stub my toe on it, it must be very real ... other interpretations, be
      they christianity or existentialism are all valid as long as they enable the
      believe to survive in a better fashion ... the proof is in the pudding, so
      to speak ... survival is the basis of it all ...

      i agree that science tends toward reductionism (looking to the fibres in a
      book), but this is only a manner of conducting research ... one of my
      favourite books is "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" ... it shows
      that if you disassemble a motorcycle down to the spokes and ballbearings,
      you end up with a mass of parts which together no longer make up a
      motorcycle ... in other words, the motorcycle is more than the sum of its
      parts ... it is all in the manner in which you approach something ... and
      scientists at times do look to the whole to gain an understanding ...

      regards