neurons firing?

  • jser1692
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 3, 2001
      Unfortunately, eduard, your own belief falls equal victim to the very process
      you utilize to dismiss religion, existentialism, etc, as mere interpretations.
      "the mind", "neurons", "firing", "in response": all of these scientific
      processes enumerated in your post are very much like religion and philosophy
      in that they are human constructs. Few will contest, in fact, that science
      was born out of philosophy, epistimology in particular. Science, ultimately,
      is a good story, a great novel; of course, in order to find any meaning in
      that novel, science would have to dissect the pages into fiber, into atoms,
      into electrons, into neutrinos, down to strings, and so forth. Concerning the
      scientific understanding of the mind, it proceeds through the same dissection.
      And in the course of reducing thinking, experience, and emotions to an unseen
      and metaphorically based theory - an ever changing theory at that - it must
      finally rely upon that very mystery which it sought to explain.
      It may be appropriate to critically examine one's own dogmatic interpretation
      before dismissing so many other interpretations.

      regards,
      John

      >i think that ultimately the mind is simply a bunch of neurons firing away in
      response to sensing the outside world ... religion
      >and spirituality is our way of interpretation which helps us to survive ...
      >existentialism is another interpretation .. >
      >eduard
    • Edward Alf
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 5, 2001
        hi John,

        im not being dogmatic and dismissing other interpretations, but only
        recognizing that they are "interpretations" and this is done within the
        brain ... in the same sense, i dont dismiss the existence of a table, since
        if i stub my toe on it, it must be very real ... other interpretations, be
        they christianity or existentialism are all valid as long as they enable the
        believe to survive in a better fashion ... the proof is in the pudding, so
        to speak ... survival is the basis of it all ...

        i agree that science tends toward reductionism (looking to the fibres in a
        book), but this is only a manner of conducting research ... one of my
        favourite books is "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" ... it shows
        that if you disassemble a motorcycle down to the spokes and ballbearings,
        you end up with a mass of parts which together no longer make up a
        motorcycle ... in other words, the motorcycle is more than the sum of its
        parts ... it is all in the manner in which you approach something ... and
        scientists at times do look to the whole to gain an understanding ...

        regards