Re: Digest Number 40

  • Meghan
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 17, 1999
      Rajiv wrote:

      <<Man is an aspiring angel limited by a mortal body>>

      Hardly. Human beings aren't naturally altruistic. Think of the Milgram
      experiments where subjects would give fatal electrical shocks to another
      "subject" when an authority figure told them to do so. Or the Stanford
      prison experiments, where normal college students became ruthless and
      abusive in the course of a few days. What about the hundred or so people
      who witnessed Kitty Genovese's violent murder, but didn't call the police?

      These actions aren't caused by "the inherent drawbacks of the body
      machine." None of the people involved in those cases had physical problems
      which caused them to react the way they did. I had a professor once who
      told us, again and again, that humans are not naturally altruistic; we
      naturally behave in ways that will benefit us to save our own hides (or our
      offspring --- propogation of the species and such).