Existential Absurdity

  • tothehoop32000@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 27, 2001
      Hey all....I'm new to this group and I need help big time. Right now
      I'm writing a paper on John Barth and my teacher wants my thesis to
      be about existential absurdity. If anyone is familiar with this
      ideology or if they have any knowledge on it at all...please email me
      at tothehoop3@......I really need help so I would really
      apreciate it..thanks...

      Bill
    • Paul R Turner
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 28, 2001
        I'm not familiar with John Barth. But Albert Camus put forward the notion of the Absurd. Life is absurd, but this is not a negative statement as many who misunderstand existentialism believe it to be. It is acceptance. On this theme see particularly The Myth of Sisyphus and to a lesser extent The Stranger/The Outsider (name depending on whether you are in the States or the UK respectively).

        Hope this helps. Good Luck