Re: [[existlist] Human nature]

  • Edward Alf
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 27 6:47 PM
      Dustin et Folks,

      no i do not see it ... rodents are only doing their thing ... it is not
      something that we like, but that does not mean that they are not part of the
      scheme of things ... i dont think that rats ever reflect upon their
      circumstance as to whether it is good or bad ...

      which is a good point in the way of asking whether a rat would be an
      existentialist ... after all his/her object is only being and survival ...
      the problems with humans is that in the process of surviving we tend to
      color our world in all sorts of assumptions ...

      as to your question on where to start with existentialism, i would suggest
      that you pick up a recent publication on the workings of the human brain ...
      it will give you a view of how humans operate ... the brain uses our senses
      to sample the world and must come up with an interpretation which lends it
      self to survival ... we make a mistake and do not survive successfully when
      our coloration is not adequate ....

      regards

      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 27 7:14 PM
        Hey all....I'm new to this group and I need help big time. Right now
        I'm writing a paper on John Barth and my teacher wants my thesis to
        be about existential absurdity. If anyone is familiar with this
        ideology or if they have any knowledge on it at all...please email me
        at tothehoop3@......I really need help so I would really
        apreciate it..thanks...

        Bill
      • Paul R Turner
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 28 3:07 PM
          I'm not familiar with John Barth. But Albert Camus put forward the notion of the Absurd. Life is absurd, but this is not a negative statement as many who misunderstand existentialism believe it to be. It is acceptance. On this theme see particularly The Myth of Sisyphus and to a lesser extent The Stranger/The Outsider (name depending on whether you are in the States or the UK respectively).

          Hope this helps. Good Luck