Re: [existlist] New to the group, new to the philosophy

  • m k
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 27, 2001
      Hi there,

      I recommend "the Stranger" by Camus, and Dostoevsky's Notes from
      Underground. :)

      m.

      >From: Dustin Pickering <dowotjon@...>
      >To: existlist@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [existlist] New to the group, new to the philosophy
      >Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 15:34:56 -0800 (PST)
      >
      >Hi,
      >
      >I'm new to the existentialist philosophy. Does anyone
      >have any suggestions on where to start? I've already
      >read Sartre's Existentialism and plan to re-read it.
      >What next?
      >
      >=====
      >Next time you feel guilty, think of rats...

    • Tim Wasilkus
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 27, 2001
        A good place to start with existentialist thought is with Irvin Yalom's Existential Psychotherapy. Although it largely concerns psychological issues, you can get a good starting grip on existential concepts here. Since you admit being new to existentialism, I do not suggest beginning with the "heavy hitters" unless you have you have the kind of mind that can wrap itself around some issues that can be very obtuse.  Camus and Dostoyevsky are fine, but you will do well to have a good conceptual understanding of existential "terminology" before you forge ahead into literature.

      • Paul R Turner
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 28, 2001
          Start with the existentialist fiction, as an art form it is the artist's concretization of their belief system (by inherent metaphysic).I belief in using popular references to make examples clear, particularly film; they are accessible and stimulating, never as dry as the treatise can sometimes appear.

          I find it better to trace the lineage of the particular philosophy. Start with Dostoevsky (though strictly not an existentialist, his characters deal with many of the themes of existentialism). Notes From the Underground influenced the writing of Taxi Driver (one of many existentialist humanist films of the Hollywood artistic peak of seventies, see The Conversation also)

          Though my dealings with Nietschze have been brief he has never yet failed to be stimulating(see any of the earlier work).

          Personally I prefer Camus to Satre (who in recent academic circles plays Dean Martin to the latter's Frank Sinatra of the existentialists' rat pack, Frank got all the attention!!) Though no doubt you've read The Stranger/The Outsider it is worth re-reading as a basic introduction.
          --

          On Tue, 27 Feb 2001 15:34:56
          Dustin Pickering wrote:
          >Hi,
          >
          >I'm new to the existentialist philosophy. Does anyone
          >have any suggestions on where to start? I've already
          >read Sartre's Existentialism and plan to re-read it.
          >What next?
          >
          >=====
          >Next time you feel guilty, think of rats...

          >http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

        • Paul R Turner
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 28, 2001
            I disagree. Only if the book to which you refer involves a HISTORY of the changing use of concepts and terminology. For example Nietzsche has been accused of being a 'strong textualist', re-defining the previously accepted terms that proceeded him (this was of course part of his dissatisfaction with academic philosophy).

            Literature is an immediate introduction into the DISCUSSION of existentialism not the SOLILOQUY of definite conceptulisations.