Re: EUROPE UNDER MUSLIM RULE

  • james tan
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 2 8:55 PM
      From: "Karun Philip" <karun@...>
      To: <WisdomForum@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: Re: [WisdomForum] Re: EUROPE UNDER MUSLIM RULE
      Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 19:13:24 -0400

      >I think we all have a sense that both Buddhism and Christianity would rule
      out engaging in terrorism

      "An eye for an eye" can be similarly misused. The problem is fallibility in
      judging who did what. The particular terrorists in question had a convoluted
      way of interpreting events to make the justifications they used. Buddhism
      cannot be misused in my opinion, yet in Sri Lanka, Buddhists forbid the use
      of Tamil by one section of its population who had immigrated from India. The
      violent response that ensued is completely unjustified by the Tamils, but it
      is strange that nationalism made it so easy for the religious principles to
      be forgotten. You could alternatively use Islam's slant on violence (1) as a
      part of the Hadith and not the Koran, as in my post or (2) a call to use
      coercion on those who coerce you. The important thing is to use due process
      of law and presumption of innocence in any such use of state coercion.
      Punish the individual, by bringing him to trial and due process, though if
      he shoots or is trying to shoot at you while apprehending, you can
      retaliate. The whole "war" on terrorism could have been presented in the
      rhetoric as a process of justice, but I'm afraid the powers that be in the
      US have no understanding of the true power of the ideas in their own
      constitution, and do not always act by those principles outside US borders.
      All I call for in US policy (rather than a specific call like "don't reject
      Arafat") is that the US government should behave according to the principles
      of the US constitution, even outside its borders where they have no legal
      validity, if they truly believe in that constitution.

      Regards,

      Karun.
      --
      Karun Philip