Re: Digest Number 6Subject: Nietzsche (Thus spoke Zartoshtra)

  • James
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 11, 1999
      Hello
      I thought I would jump in for my first post. I can
      actually give some answers to you here. I have
      studied Ancient Oriental(middle Eastern to most now)
      Religions and the religion to which you refer is
      actually Zoroastrianism. The book of which you speak
      is actually Thus spoke Zarathustra. Not to say I
      havent gotten the two linguistically mixed up as well.
      James

      > From: Yana Youhana <yana_youhana@...>
      > Subject: Nietzsche (Thus spoke Zartoshtra)
      >

      > Zartosht is the old religion of Iran (Persia) and
      > still being practiced in
      > some parts of country. Does anyone know how
      > Nietzsche
      > came about writing "Thus spoke Zartoshtra"? Has he
      > written anything
      > else related to Persia? Why did he pick Zartosht?
      > What was it that
      > interested him about this prophet (Zartosht)?
      > Zartosht religion
      > is about believing in goodness in people, Nietzsche
      > was suspicion in
      > all, what relation did he find between how he
      > thought and how the
      > prophet Zartosht thought?
      >
      > I appreciate all your help in advance.
      >
      > -
      > Yana

    • Yana Youhana
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 23, 1999
        James,

        I admire your willingness and interest in haveing studied
        ancient religious BUT there is one thing I MUST say here
        and that is, no matter HOW MUCH you study a religion that
        you were not brought-up with from very early childhood,
        you will NOT know it as well as the person who was brought
        up to practice it. And in this case me being Persian/Iranian
        I can strongly tell you that even if you have PHD on anciant
        religions, you would not have as much knowledge as I do on
        "Zartosht" (this is how it is prononced). The problem with
        translating anything anciant to english language, is the word
        completley changes, in some case even it's meaning gets lost.

        At any rate, in the case of Nietzsche, I can assure you he
        meant "Zartosht" the persian prophet! My question was why? :)

        Also, you did not even answer my question in my First e-mail
        so please try to do some research and get back to me.

        Regards,
        Yana