mind/body

  • michael mcguire
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 2, 2002
      'If the mind is not part of the body then how do
      I know if I even have a soul?'

      The way I see it, there is no soul as long as you consider 'soul' to be some
      special immaterial theatre nested in the mind. I would refer to 'soul' as
      simply the story you spin about yourself. You ARE how your autobiography
      would read.

      Question for the group:

      Does anyone think it is inauthentic to refer to yourself as having a 'soul'
      if you don't take 'soul' in the traditional, immaterial sense, but rather
      just as 'self', 'center of narrative gravity', 'I'..whatever?

      Is choosing to do so misleading? Saying you have a soul seems to carry with
      it a lot of religious baggage. Right? I guess its all in how you define
      your terms.

      mike

    • Bill Harris
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 2, 2002
        Michael, In the derived meanuing of the word soul, it is a spirtual entity. If you say it means other than that you are inauthentic in use of the word. So your meaning for soul is? Bill
        'If the mind is not part of the body then how do
        I know if I even have a soul?'

        The way I see it, there is no soul as long as you consider 'soul' to be some
        special immaterial theatre nested in the mind. I would refer to 'soul' as
        simply the story you spin about yourself. You ARE how your autobiography
        would read.

        Question for the group:

        Does anyone think it is inauthentic to refer to yourself as having a 'soul'
        if you don't take 'soul' in the traditional, immaterial sense, but rather
        just as 'self', 'center of narrative gravity', 'I'..whatever?

        Is choosing to do so misleading? Saying you have a soul seems to carry with
        it a lot of religious baggage. Right? I guess its all in how you define
        your terms.

        mike

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Eduard Alf
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 2, 2002
          Mike,

          << Does anyone think it is inauthentic to refer to
          yourself as having a 'soul' if you don't take
          'soul' in the traditional, immaterial sense, but
          rather just as 'self', 'center of narrative
          gravity', >>

          I don't see anything is wrong with referring to
          "soul". All sorts of things are said here on this
          list. I would only suggest that it said with
          enough information so that we know in what context
          the word is used.

          eduard
        • Tony
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 2, 2002
            I wholly agree with eduard on this point. Say what you will, just clarify
            the meanings. This proposition is fair, it allows for the discussions to go
            on productively.

            Sincerely,
            Tony.
            > << Does anyone think it is inauthentic to refer to
            > yourself as having a 'soul' if you don't take
            > 'soul' in the traditional, immaterial sense, but
            > rather just as 'self', 'center of narrative
            > gravity', >>
            >
            > I don't see anything is wrong with referring to
            > "soul". All sorts of things are said here on this
            > list. I would only suggest that it said with
            > enough information so that we know in what context
            > the word is used.
            >
            > eduard

          • james tan
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 2, 2002
              let's look at our experiencing. whatever, it could be studying, jogging,
              communicating with another like-minded or unlike-minded friend, sniffing
              heroin, or making love with a prostitute. one of these is a physical
              component: we have bodies. we need it in order to enter into the realim of
              sense perception. the other distinguishable quality of our experiencing is
              itself not physical as such. we have souls. the souls distinguish us from
              dead, nonliving, non-willing objects. so, whatever is the religous baggage
              that comes along with that word, let's just reject it and redefine souls as
              the characteristic functions and activities that are essential to living,
              willing being and account for the other features. eg, if a car were a living
              being its soul would be travelling (or transporting). thus the soul cant be
              properly understood as a physical entity, nor as some disembodied spirit.
              however, we can only articulate these two distinguishable qualities of our
              being because the human being is one being, and because of that that one can
              extrapolate the different aspects and consider them as different qualities
              of one existence. we do not want to compartmentalise human into body and
              mind as if they are parts; gestalts psychologists and phenomenologists have
              seriously suggested that the whole is more than its parts; nay, that it is
              more and DIFFERENT from its parts. it is like ur chemistry chemical reaction
              where a whole NEW substance is formed from its constituent elements or
              compounds. in other words, phenomenologically speaking (see, experience, and
              describe things as they are, forget all the craps from psychological
              theories or models or paradigm of how things 'ought' to be; if these oughts
              are taken too seriously, they have a way of distorting our perception and
              experience; the idea here is to describe, not explain - and it is only in
              theories that we can explain - but who cares about explaining? it is not to
              explain, but to experience things as they are), what we first encounter in
              our concrete experience of the human beings is the unitary human person.
              body and soul are but constituents of a person's whole existence (husserl).
              where there is no body, there is no soul too; if there is an afterlife, it
              will be in a form that is totally unlike what we know. as to whether there
              is spirit in the christian sense of the word, perhaps some one can conduct a
              empirical research on this (but exactly what is the properties of the entity
              'spirit'? the experiment cannot be conducted if we dont even know what is
              spirit).

              james.