Re: [existlist] Wavelenghts of light

  • Nick A
    Message 1 of 25 , Aug 1, 2002
      A short walk to some is a mile, to others it is 2 blocks...Even in downtown
      cities~

      > unless this is pertinent to the subject. Afterall
      > if someone here says that it is only a short walk
      > to the store, it is pointless to digress into the
      > possibility that some people cant walk.

    • Eduard Alf
      Message 2 of 25 , Aug 1, 2002
        Nick,

        we are digressing ..... :-))

        A short walk to some is a mile, to others it is 2
        blocks...Even in downtown
        cities~

        > unless this is pertinent to the subject.
        Afterall
        > if someone here says that it is only a short
        walk
        > to the store, it is pointless to digress into
        the
        > possibility that some people cant walk.

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • Tony
        Message 3 of 25 , Aug 2, 2002
          Click,
          The fact that the machanics of the eye vary amoung humans does not refute
          the other fact that persons still must observe color along a specturm of
          colors. If an individual is being presented a specfic point on the specturm,
          then that point is what color he is observing. This stays consistent in all
          cases even if the individual cannot see the actual color.

          Sincerely,
          Tony.
          Message 4 of 25 , Aug 2, 2002
            Eduard,

            << but the majority of people have sufficient commonality in their
            visual capability such that the red that I see is essentially the
            same as what you may see >>

            The rule is that everyone experiences colour slightly differently
            (to varing degrees). I believe where your confusion lays is that you
            believe the experience of specfic colour exists in some universal
            perceptual way.

            Let me explain (hopefully more clearly)

            Three entities exist and are taught that light at 10 to the whatever
            frequency represents blue (something that is an arbitrary starting
            point).

            Let's suppose we have a blue ball on earth (believe it or not I have
            to specify it because under different types of sunlight or
            atmospheric conditions it might appear a different colour.)
            Let suppose a beam of sunlight bounces off it and absorbs the
            necessary light to produce the 10 to the x wavelength we call blue.

            Let suppose it reaches person 1's retina (and I just read that the
            cones and rods should be relatively the same) at that exact frequency
            and the signal to journey to there brain and interpretation is
            exactly the same (unproven) then theoretically they should see it the
            same.

            However......

            The person 2 has there is a slight distortion because of different
            the shapes of cornea and lens that the light must travel through to
            reach the retina (the part which is responsible for the the
            perception of colour). The wavelength is altered slightly so the
            interpretation to the brain is as perhaps a slightly greenish blue.
            This person though is taught that this colour is blue from early
            childhood. So he always thinks of it as blue.

            Person 3 views blue from a different perspective of person one and
            two because the SAME wavelength of light hits his retina(or is
            distorted by it) towards the ultraviolet end of the spectrum. So he
            see's it as a bit purplish.

            How many people wear glasses to correct their vision Eduard?

            As I said before, the rule is we all have slightly different
            perspectives.... with colour blindnesss at the far end of that bell
            curve.

            http://www.preventblindness.org/eye_problems/colorvision.html

            I'm not going to discuss this point further.... believe what you will.

            ~ some people are stubborn too

            --- In existlist@y..., "Eduard Alf" <yeoman@v...> wrote:
            > click,
            >
            > << it's quite well accepted that the optical
            > mechanics of the eye allow for variation in
            > perceptions of colour between human beings >>
            >
            > That may be, but how much variation are we really
            > talking about here?? At least as a basis of
            > discussion in philosophy, one has to accept a
            > certain commonality in human sensation. Sorry if
            > that sounds like a rule, but otherwise we fall
            > into absurdity. Certainly there are those who
            > have color blindness, but the majority of people
            > have sufficient commonality in their visual
            > capability such that the red that I see is
            > essentially the same as what you may see. It does
            > not serve the discussion to bring in exceptions
            > unless this is pertinent to the subject. Afterall
            > if someone here says that it is only a short walk
            > to the store, it is pointless to digress into the
            > possibility that some people cant walk.
            >
            > eduard
          • Bill Harris
            Message 5 of 25 , Aug 2, 2002
              Click, The measurement of a wavelength has some imprecision but it is better than arbitraury. In fact it is the closest we can measure. If we could measure more precisely then that measurement would become the assigned wavelength for blue. Yes we do the measuring, we do the assigning. It is not perfect, as we are not perfect, as the world is not perfect. Yet the measurement works for us, allows us a standard which we try to further define with increased precision. It is very useful to do these things, but not very fun. Bill
[...]

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            • Eduard Alf
              Message 6 of 25 , Aug 2, 2002
                click,

                Lets put it this way ....

                Say that we set up an experiment for which persons
                are given the opportunity, of specific short time,
                to select a number of same coloured balls from a
                mixture. The balls are free, but if you drop one,
                then you have to give them all back. We wish to
                know if there is a tendency to select a small
                quantity to ensure meeting the time limit, or will
                people tend to grab as many free balls as possible
                and thus risk dropping one.

                So we have a third party set up the experiment and
                we tell the persons they can select as many "blue"
                balls as they wish.

                Now, it is true that there is a small portion of
                the population which is colour-blind, and there
                can be a variation in visual sensation. But what
                are the chances that this would pose barrier to
                completing the experiment?

                My point is that although there may be variations,
                they are sufficient [or perhaps I should say not
                sufficient] as to prevent a general conclusion.
                If one discusses the act of seeing, from a
                philosophical point of view, then certain
                commonalities need to be accepted, otherwise the
                discussion gets nowhere.

                eduard
              • elbookdoc
                Message 7 of 25 , Aug 2, 2002
                  <<That may be, but how much variation are we really
                  > talking about here?? At least as a basis of
                  > discussion in philosophy, one has to accept a
                  > certain commonality in human sensation...otherwise we fall
                  > into absurdity. >>

                  Duard...might as well go believing in god then, because the leap
                  of faith is equal.

                  A variation is a variation...and scientifically, that would be an
                  invalid observation because it is inconsistent.

                  You have to accept things only if you want to believe something.
                  In your case, science = god. In my case, neither explain it all.

                  enjoy.

                  Mr. Pancake
                  ---------------------------------------
                • elbookdoc
                  Message 8 of 25 , Aug 2, 2002
                    <<otherwise the
                    > discussion gets nowhere.
                    >
                    > eduard>>

                    OK, fuck my point. Lets go with yours:

                    Where is the conversation going to get to?

                    If we assume there are no differences in anyone because we
                    ignore them all because it is inconvenient, then we will have
                    more deaths at stop lights because red, yellow, green-- who
                    gives a fuck -- hit the accelorator and drive you stupid chicken.
                    The other way to go with that is nothing will happen at all
                    because all the shit is so predictable that there is no reason to
                    look into it...so much for mystery and interest.

                    Duard, you couldn't follow a point if someone drove it to your
                    skull with a jack-hammer.

                    Where the hell do you think it is going to go? Are you expecting a
                    rainbow end and some gold?

                    I don't know a damned thing -- and I think for good reason -- but
                    what I do know is that if someone finally took it all and placed it in
                    some equation that worked in every situation, doubtless I'd shoot
                    myself because it would be so fucking boring. No interest...no
                    life. You are just some homogenous lump (philosophically) that
                    looks forward to putting a foot in the grave.

                    You think you know so much that there is nothing to discover...

                    that makes for a lousy lover if nothing else.

                    Fuck Me
                    -------------------------------
                  • Eduard Alf
                    Message 9 of 25 , Aug 2, 2002
                      elbookdoc,

                      hmmmm .... "science = god". Are you by chance
                      trying to make a rule?? That would be very
                      un-elbookdoc. Or would it?? For someone, who is
                      nothing, you have been making an awful lot of
                      rules lately.

                      You know, it is really quite simple. A person
                      presents his perspective on a point of view, and
                      then there is a sort of expectation that the reply
                      would follow context of what is presented. Of
                      course that would perhaps be expecting too much

                    • Eduard Alf
                      Message 10 of 25 , Aug 2, 2002
                        elbookdoc,

                        << Where is the conversation going to get to? >>

                        Well, if it were someone else, other than bookdoc,
                        then that might be a valid question. But then we
                        run up against the barrier, that you are indeed
                        bookdoc. Thus, to pose the question in the first
                        place is pointless. Just look at what you have
                        written here. There is nothing in your writing
                        except a few "f" words. But then, for as long as
                        I have known you on this list ... you at least
                        have been consistent.

                        Message 11 of 25 , Aug 2, 2002
                          Book,
                          Do you ignore my posts, because all the points you bring up are pretty much
                          talked and settled within my posts. No one here claims to "know everything."
                          Your claims of such are frivilous characatures of peoples arguements. The
                          discussion of individual variations in sight have to be generalized to a
                          certain extent on a forum of this sort, do you expect term paper length
                          respones to every post. If needed the resources for any claim about the
                          light spectrum or waves or particles can be given willfully. Nevertheless, I
                          understand your claims that science can be a bit dogmatic, however, that
                          does not mean (as history has proven) that the methods of science, not the
                          politics, work effiecently and approximate truths well(most of the time).
                          This whole process of discussion and arguement is about discovering.

                          "hit the accelorator and drive you stupid chicken. "

                          Sorry, I didn't get this one.

                          Sincerely,
                          Tony.

                          > Where is the conversation going to get to?
                          >
                          > If we assume there are no differences in anyone because we
                          > ignore them all because it is inconvenient, then we will have
                          > more deaths at stop lights because red, yellow, green-- who
                          > gives a fuck -- hit the accelorator and drive you stupid chicken.
                          > The other way to go with that is nothing will happen at all
                          > because all the shit is so predictable that there is no reason to
                          > look into it...so much for mystery and interest.
                          >
                          > Duard, you couldn't follow a point if someone drove it to your
                          > skull with a jack-hammer.
                          >
                          > Where the hell do you think it is going to go? Are you expecting a
                          > rainbow end and some gold?
                          >
                          > I don't know a damned thing -- and I think for good reason -- but
                          > what I do know is that if someone finally took it all and placed it in
                          > some equation that worked in every situation, doubtless I'd shoot
                          > myself because it would be so fucking boring. No interest...no
                          > life. You are just some homogenous lump (philosophically) that
                          > looks forward to putting a foot in the grave.
                          >
                          > You think you know so much that there is nothing to discover...
                          >
                          > that makes for a lousy lover if nothing else.
                          >
                          > Fuck Me

                        • elbookdoc
                          Message 12 of 25 , Aug 5, 2002
                            <<hmmmm .... "science = god". Are you by chance
                            > trying to make a rule?? That would be very
                            > un-elbookdoc.>>

                            Your ability to foul even what should seemingly be simple
                            interpretations, requiring only tiny amounts of any type of linking
                            between attempt and concept, are amazing.

                            Please name a rule I have made. "Science = god" was something you
                            seemed to me to attempt to believe...yet like so many idiot
                            christians read from a translated book that you then literally
                            interpret though the language is twice or thrice removed.

                            stupid's acquaintence
                            -------------------------------
                          • elbookdoc
                            Message 13 of 25 , Aug 5, 2002

                              Message 14 of 25 , Aug 5, 2002
                                <<There is nothing in your writing
                                > except a few "f" words. >>

                                I did that just for you as I knew you would find meaning and reason
                                in the most empty and least interesting of the words I used.

                                hiccough interruptus
                                -----------------------------
                              • Eduard Alf
                                Message 15 of 25 , Aug 5, 2002
                                  elbookdoc,

                                  << Your ability to foul even what should seemingly
                                  be simple interpretations, requiring only tiny
                                  amounts of any type of linking between attempt and
                                  concept, are amazing. >>

                                  Another rule ... you are really outdoing yourself

                                • Eduard Alf
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Aug 5, 2002
                                    elbookdoc,

                                    << I did that just for you as I knew you would
                                    find meaning and reason in the most empty and
                                    least interesting of the words I used.>>

                                    What you seem to not realise is that these words
                                    are actually best you have to offer. The rest of
                                    you words are even more empty and less
                                    interesting. Why do you even bother??

                                    eduard
                                  • Bill Harris
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Aug 5, 2002
                                      Eduard, As promised, I have an article which puts one more little bit of
                                      knowledge in the puzzle of our existance on this planet. I will presay" what
                                      difference does it make to me" for you . They have found a 20km impact
                                      crater on the floor of the north sea. It is 60-65 million years old.
                                      Decimates dinosaurs, promotes mammals. Bill
                                      > << I did that just for you as I knew you would
                                      > find meaning and reason in the most empty and
                                      > least interesting of the words I used.>>
                                      >
                                      > What you seem to not realise is that these words
                                      > are actually best you have to offer. The rest of
                                      > you words are even more empty and less
                                      > interesting. Why do you even bother??
                                      >
                                      > eduard

                                    • Eduard Alf
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Aug 5, 2002
                                        Bill,

                                        << They have found a 20km impact crater on the
                                        floor of the north sea. >>

                                        I thought the killer meteor was the one which hit
                                        the Yucatan peninsula?

                                        Actually I am waiting for them to discover the one
                                        which hit the east side of Hudson Bay. If you
                                        look at the map, it is obvious that something made
                                        that formation. Anyway, there is a bunch of
                                        craters [well, 2 that I know of] in Quebec. Seems
                                        to me that people are looking in all sorts of
                                        places, except what is under their nose.

                                        Sorry ... People's Court is on now ....

                                        eduard
                                      • elbookdoc
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Aug 5, 2002
                                          <<Why do you even bother??

                                          > eduard>>

                                          le duard,

                                          Unlike ye who knows everything apriori, I know nothing and am
                                          famished to find out just how little that really is. I can bare my
                                          ignorance and act as a sponge, but every time I drop toward the water
                                          it evaporates and I hit the rocks. The earlier reference to a pond
                                          and a floating cap was no accident, as I knew my reference that you
                                          never would. One of the sadder moments in WC Fields' life was when a
                                          small child drowned in a pond of his, apparently chasing something of
                                          the floating sort (my imagination changed it a little). While I
                                          respect that man and his interests and psychosis and his sadness, he
                                          was a big ol' clown, with a dangerous pond. I do not like something
                                          about you arrogant-god-ignorant-clown, but I dislike more that it
                                          bothers me. And perhaps my plodding on and on at it -- at you -- is
                                          seeking something of discovering myself...which I'll lose once again
                                          when I've found it. I free fall like a sponge again and I wonder if
                                          your pond will be dry before I hit it. However, I think I can use it
                                          for one of my insanities (which unlike you I have). And perhaps then
                                          I can laugh and laugh at me, and later come out the other side seeing
                                          more of what, unlike you, I can never understand.

                                          hearty loser
                                          --------------------------
                                        • Eduard Alf
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Aug 5, 2002
                                            elbookdoc,

                                            The best I can make out of your response is the,
                                            "I know nothing and am famished to find out just
                                            how little that really is." Which I take to mean
                                            that you are interested in learning a few things.
                                            But what comes to my mind is, why go through all
                                            this derogatory stuff? I realise that you wish to
                                            present yourself as nothing, yet you become very
                                            aggressive not only in the manner of your
                                            response, but also in the words that you use. If
                                            you are "famished", then surely it would be more
                                            productive to at least try to communicate; in a
                                            courteous fashion. Sorry, if that sounds like a
                                            rule.

                                            eduard
                                          • Bill Harris
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Aug 5, 2002
                                              Eduard, Same time frame, looks like the asteroids may have double teamed
                                              the dinosaurs. And just when you thought it was safe to go outdoors.
                                              Bill----- Original Message -----
                                              > << They have found a 20km impact crater on the
                                              > floor of the north sea. >>
                                              >
                                              > I thought the killer meteor was the one which hit
                                              > the Yucatan peninsula?
                                              >
                                              > Actually I am waiting for them to discover the one
                                              > which hit the east side of Hudson Bay. If you
                                              > look at the map, it is obvious that something made
                                              > that formation. Anyway, there is a bunch of
                                              > craters [well, 2 that I know of] in Quebec. Seems
                                              > to me that people are looking in all sorts of
                                              > places, except what is under their nose.
                                              >
                                              > Sorry ... People's Court is on now ....
                                              >
                                              > eduard

                                            • Eduard Alf
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Aug 5, 2002
                                                Bill,

                                                I saw a documentary on the blowup of the Krakatoa
                                                volcano which started the dark ages in 535AD. We
                                                don't have to wait for an asteroid. There is
                                                probably a volcano somewhere that is just ready to
                                                go POP.

                                                Think about it. Even up here, a bit of change of
                                                weather and you can had another half hour or more
                                                to getting to work. All we need is one of those
                                                years without a summer, like in 1816.

                                                eduard
                                              • elbookdoc
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Aug 6, 2002
                                                  <<The best I can make out of your response is the,
                                                  > "I know nothing and am famished to find out just
                                                  > how little that really is." >>

                                                  I was just thinking that it is obvious you would have focused on this
                                                  as it is very important to you that others look to you as some sort
                                                  of authority. Forgive me the psychoanalysis.

                                                  All I meant was, I can't pretend that what I think I know is correct,
                                                  and I think you will be able to find a god. I have no hope that a god
                                                  would survive my questioning. Perhaps, if it is a god that is
                                                  superior, it would appreciate the effort.

                                                  Apparently your god could feed you all sorts of gunk and crocodiles.

                                                  "Here," said the Great Deceiver "Swallow science." And Le 'Duard did.

                                                  Under View