RE: [existlist] Re: ... prick the skin

  • Eduard Alf
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 1, 2002
      elbookdoc,

      << Then explain to me why we can't see microwaves?

      I am sure that if you stick your head in the
      microwave, you will at least sense the presence of
      wavelengths.

      But then I really admire your efforts. We are
      speaking of "seeing" and you move it to
      microwaves. As if in some fashion by extending
      the discussion to the ridiculous, you hope to make
      some point. I brings back fond memories of blue
      clam beaches and dead humans. Nothing ever
      changes ...

      eduard
    • Tony
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 2, 2002
        Book,
        You assume that eduard is part of some large coalition of logical
        positivists demanded some insane amount of evidence. In actuality, the free
        thinkers is a skeptic about the world around him knowing full well the
        faults of the human perspective. Discussions allot us groups of thinkers to
        debate about ideas, in turn, when ideas are brought to the table we should
        all be open and critical of the conclusions and assertions that arise. We
        should not just march in cadence with the newest trend or remain static in
        rumination. In accord with the search for truth and the acquisition of
        knowledge, the thinker is held responsible for his thoughts and conclusions.
        Its called epistemic responsibility. And why is it those dogmatists always
        feel frustrated in not being to relate some fundamental point, that if
        understood, could correct the incongruity. Pontificate, my brother,
        pontificate.

        Sincerely,
        Tony.

        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 2, 2002
          Bookdoc, I think you are the person to talk to about this amazing man I saw on TV last night. Background: He is a 50 year old male, was a marine captain in charge of a nuclear security detail. He began to suspect his superior officers of a conspiracy to circumvent national security. He thought them mad and consulted the base psychiatrist. After an evaluation he was confined and diagnosed as a schizophrenic.He was committed and spent several years confined. Through medication and psychotherapy he was released. He went back to school ,received his PHD in psychology, and is now the director of the department of the clinic where he was confined.
          Visually , he is obviously different, he has exaggerated facial expression and a noticeable tic. He is slow spoken and obviously very careful in his choice of words. He calls non afflicted people "normals".
          Last year he had a regression and was nearly recommitted.
          He spoke at length about the onset of symptoms. He said he has always walked with an exaggerated rhythm. Sometimes it feels good to further exaggerate that rhythmic movement and his walk becomes a dance. When this happens he feels no guilt, he does not feel he has broken a social norm unless someone shows him he is acting out. He enjoys the feeling and continues to follow the pleasant experience and if not stopped will soon find himself in full blown psychosis. He feels no sense of social shame, and will follow his pleasant experience into a total break with the real world.
          The reason he was not confined the last time was because he had a series of meetings with staff and argued out the limits of propriety. he obviously does not like the constraints of the "normals" and actually views his psychosis as him in conflict with the normal world. He will take his medication and will usually abide by the strictures of his bargaining sessions. Yet he does not want to be normal. For my part, neither do I, nor do you. Even Eduard admits all he really wants are "Happy Neurons" . Do I see a sliding scale here? How much is disease and how much a thin social conditioning? Are the rules of the monkey tribe fair? Who defines proper behavior? Who defines reality? BillMessage -----

            > << I hate to disappoint you, but the wavelength is the way that we
            > see things. >>
            >
            > Then explain to me why we can't see microwaves? I believe they
            > have a wavelength. There are plenty of wavelengths not in the
            > visual spectrum. Perhaps it is the human inability to corectly
            > perceive....no...that would be silly.
            >
            > Oh frig it. Duard, stay in your ignorant understanding of
            > everything you've deluded yourself to. I admit I don't have the
            > talent. You know everything and are clearly god. Not mine, but at
            > least your own.
            >
            > Everything is just as you see it...eventhough your own science
            > says that's crap -- except because you want to interpret it another
            > way.
            >
            > Our dialogue no longer spurs interesting things, only my anger
            > at what i perceive as your intentional blindness and stupidity
            > (that is intentional stupidity if read in parallel). That is clearly my
            > own fault, but as interest goes...it's disinteresting.
            >
            > Phlegm Foot

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • elbookdoc
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 2, 2002
              <<Who defines proper behavior? Who defines reality?>>

              In my case that would be interest. Reality could be some flat
              bland thing that in harshness I come into via vagina and leave
              via superlative fruit crate. However, that I don't understand it via
              some adopted delusion (and I'd rather have my own, thanks,
              cause I can't trust yours), leaves me lots of room to question.

              Proper behavior is from my interest as well, in that if it doesn't
              ruin an opportunity, potential or otherwise, it is, philosophically,
              good. Knowing something in that case, is almost logically bad...

              You know something and it saps the life out of finding more to it.
              I know that every time I know something I can prove I am wrong.
              By god ( and in spite of Duard) I want to live forever.

              Reality is my fantasy, and I'll have it with another scoop of ice
              cream and a scotch, neat. Drizzle me some water in that single
              malt please...and use bottled water if you've got it.

              People who are sure are the dangerous ones that kill others.
              Duard is as dangerous as a paper hat floating in a pond to an
              untended 2 year old.

              Color me black-and-white