Re: [existlist] Do you think therefore you are?

  • Nick A
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 1, 2002
      I think the pyramids were more than simply tombs...Didn't the ancients use
      them to align the stars or something?

      If the mind is not part of the body then how do I know if I even have a
      soul? Of course, presuming consciousness is simply cognition.

      By my definition, the body can be projected into other dimensions...

      > Nick,
      >
      > I don't think the mind is part of the body.
      > Rather the body is an extension of the mind
      > through the sensors of the body. It is sort of
      > like a android, in the sense that the wiring which
      > activates the arms and legs, and which returns
      > sensations of touch, is of the central processor.
      > But the steel and plastic of which the arms and
      > legs are made of are not part of the processor.
      > For the human, it may be difficult to make a
      > separation. Flesh itself is so much a part of its
      > sensors that it is hard tell which is which.
      >
      > Consciousness is the processing of the mind. The
      > soul is that time when the neurons escape from the
      > vault of the skull, as in dreaming. Nothing
      > leaves the body, but instead our neurons create a
      > world of their own, and escape into it. Because
      > our neurons can escape and because we can at times
      > remember that escape, we tend to fantasize that
      > they have actually gone somewhere and thus we
      > invent things like a heaven. This is facilitated
      > by manner in which we view the dead. When we go
      > to a funeral parlor and see the body, it begs the
      > question of where the thing that previously
      > animated it, in life, has gone to. This "thing"
      > we associate with a "soul" and consider it to be
      > an entity by itself. The Egyptians went to great
      > lengths to protect the residing portion of the
      > soul [the "Ba"] through mummifying the body and
      > providing a shelter [pyramid] in which it could
      > remain after death. But all of this is just
      > fantasy ...
      >
      > eduard

    • Eduard Alf
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 1, 2002
        Nick,

        << I think the pyramids were more than simply
        tombs...Didn't the ancients use them to align the
        stars or something? >>

        Yes, and some say that the hole that was provided
        for the "Ba" is orientated towards Orion. In my
        opinion, the pyramids are just a pile of rocks. A
        nice pile, no doubt, still just a pile. Any other
        purpose, is just the same as Van Daniken's theory
        that the markings on the Nazca plain in Peru were
        to serve as landing strips for aliens.

        << If the mind is not part of the body then how do
        I know if I even have a soul? >>

        You don't know. What was the last time that you
        actually encountered your own soul?? I would
        presume, like everyone else, you have never
        encountered your soul. There are only two
        possibilities. Either it is awfully good at hiding
        or it does not exist.

        << By my definition, the body can be projected
        into other dimensions... >>

        In my opinion, that is an impossibility. Granted,
        it is a nice thought.

        eduard
      • Tony
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 1, 2002
          Eduard you are really a nice guy, I mean, you speak in euphemism just to
          clear the air of any hostility. I respect that. However, a disembodied mind?
          How could anyone even discuss this idea? The mind is merely the brain,
          nothing more. And projecting the body into other dimensions? Granted, some
          theorists have incorporated a model of the universe in which more then 4
          dimensions exist, yet how could we ever speak about projecting our bodies
          into these other speculative dimensions?

          Sincerely,
          Tony.
          > << I think the pyramids were more than simply
          > tombs...Didn't the ancients use them to align the
          > stars or something? >>
          >
          > Yes, and some say that the hole that was provided
          > for the "Ba" is orientated towards Orion. In my
          > opinion, the pyramids are just a pile of rocks. A
          > nice pile, no doubt, still just a pile. Any other
          > purpose, is just the same as Van Daniken's theory
          > that the markings on the Nazca plain in Peru were
          > to serve as landing strips for aliens.
          >
          > << If the mind is not part of the body then how do
          > I know if I even have a soul? >>
          >
          > You don't know. What was the last time that you
          > actually encountered your own soul?? I would
          > presume, like everyone else, you have never
          > encountered your soul. There are only two
          > possibilities. Either it is awfully good at hiding
          > or it does not exist.
          >
          > << By my definition, the body can be projected
          > into other dimensions... >>
          >
          > In my opinion, that is an impossibility. Granted,
          > it is a nice thought.
          >
          > eduard

        • Eduard Alf
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 1, 2002
            Tony,

            I agree. Most of this talk of other dimensions is
            based upon small particle theory. I think the
            last count was 11 dimensions [ I could be wrong]
            all nicely coiled up in some fashion. I don't
            discount that sort of theory, since it has no
            impact upon me personally. I might think twice
            about, however, if some scientist comes up with a
            way of moving a camel to some other dimension
            [whatever that may be].

            But then my NOOism philosophy will accept it as a
            nice fantasy, if that keeps your neurons happy ...

            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 2, 2002
              Tony, good thinking. Bill

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/