Re: [[existlist] Human nature]

  • Dustin Pickering
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 26, 2001
      Religious existentialists believe in God, and think we
      look to God for meaning. Look up Kierkegaard. I just
      started reading him...his belief in God was based on
      faith, not logic.

      =====
      Next time you feel guilty, think of rats...

      http://shopping.yahoo.com/
    • Edward Alf
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 27, 2001
        hi Dustin,

        i dont get it .... why should i think of rats the next time i feel guilty
        .... (assuming i should feel guilty about something) ...

        regards

        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 27, 2001
          I put that upwhen I assumed there was a human
          nature...that we all were "born green" as Sylvia Plath
          writes. Destructive little rodants...we all are like
          that, you see?

          Of course, now I have trouble believing in a "human
          nature" because so many varieties of people exist.
          What do you think?

          =====
          Next time you feel guilty, think of rats...

          http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
        • Edward Alf
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 27, 2001
            Dustin et Folks,

            no i do not see it ... rodents are only doing their thing ... it is not
            something that we like, but that does not mean that they are not part of the
            scheme of things ... i dont think that rats ever reflect upon their
            circumstance as to whether it is good or bad ...

            which is a good point in the way of asking whether a rat would be an
            existentialist ... after all his/her object is only being and survival ...
            the problems with humans is that in the process of surviving we tend to
            color our world in all sorts of assumptions ...

            as to your question on where to start with existentialism, i would suggest
            that you pick up a recent publication on the workings of the human brain ...
            it will give you a view of how humans operate ... the brain uses our senses
            to sample the world and must come up with an interpretation which lends it
            self to survival ... we make a mistake and do not survive successfully when
            our coloration is not adequate ....

            regards

          • tothehoop32000@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 27, 2001
              Hey all....I'm new to this group and I need help big time. Right now
              I'm writing a paper on John Barth and my teacher wants my thesis to
              be about existential absurdity. If anyone is familiar with this
              ideology or if they have any knowledge on it at all...please email me
              at tothehoop3@......I really need help so I would really
              apreciate it..thanks...

              Bill
            • Paul R Turner
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 28, 2001
                I'm not familiar with John Barth. But Albert Camus put forward the notion of the Absurd. Life is absurd, but this is not a negative statement as many who misunderstand existentialism believe it to be. It is acceptance. On this theme see particularly The Myth of Sisyphus and to a lesser extent The Stranger/The Outsider (name depending on whether you are in the States or the UK respectively).

                Hope this helps. Good Luck