Re: [existlist] Do you think therefore you are?

  • Bill Harris
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 1 11:40 AM
      Eduard, Something rather obscure underlines the effect of thought upon the
      evolution of the human species. Have you seen the numbers regarding breast
      cancer in Marin county California? Big increases in incidence and mortality
      with highly politicized theories as to the causality. The women are wealthy,
      and overwhelmingly liberal feminist in their lifestyles.
      In prehistoric times , forced migration might have caused association with
      a carcinogen. Now we may have a case of voluntary lifestyle choice causing
      deadly mutational change. The brain does not have to physically mutate to
      cause mutational circumstance to mortally mutate individuals. The choice to
      smoke is similar but has addictive components which clutter the causality.
      Use of the pill, selection against childbearing and breast feeding and
      menopausal hormone replacement all are risk factors identified with breast
      cancer. Or maybe it is something in the soil? Bill
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 1 2:47 PM
        I think the pyramids were more than simply tombs...Didn't the ancients use
        them to align the stars or something?

        If the mind is not part of the body then how do I know if I even have a
        soul? Of course, presuming consciousness is simply cognition.

        By my definition, the body can be projected into other dimensions...

        > Nick,
        >
        > I don't think the mind is part of the body.
        > Rather the body is an extension of the mind
        > through the sensors of the body. It is sort of
        > like a android, in the sense that the wiring which
        > activates the arms and legs, and which returns
        > sensations of touch, is of the central processor.
        > But the steel and plastic of which the arms and
        > legs are made of are not part of the processor.
        > For the human, it may be difficult to make a
        > separation. Flesh itself is so much a part of its
        > sensors that it is hard tell which is which.
        >
        > Consciousness is the processing of the mind. The
        > soul is that time when the neurons escape from the
        > vault of the skull, as in dreaming. Nothing
        > leaves the body, but instead our neurons create a
        > world of their own, and escape into it. Because
        > our neurons can escape and because we can at times
        > remember that escape, we tend to fantasize that
        > they have actually gone somewhere and thus we
        > invent things like a heaven. This is facilitated
        > by manner in which we view the dead. When we go
        > to a funeral parlor and see the body, it begs the
        > question of where the thing that previously
        > animated it, in life, has gone to. This "thing"
        > we associate with a "soul" and consider it to be
        > an entity by itself. The Egyptians went to great
        > lengths to protect the residing portion of the
        > soul [the "Ba"] through mummifying the body and
        > providing a shelter [pyramid] in which it could
        > remain after death. But all of this is just
        > fantasy ...
        >
        > eduard

      • Eduard Alf
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 1 3:19 PM
          Nick,

          << I think the pyramids were more than simply
          tombs...Didn't the ancients use them to align the
          stars or something? >>

          Yes, and some say that the hole that was provided
          for the "Ba" is orientated towards Orion. In my
          opinion, the pyramids are just a pile of rocks. A
          nice pile, no doubt, still just a pile. Any other
          purpose, is just the same as Van Daniken's theory
          that the markings on the Nazca plain in Peru were
          to serve as landing strips for aliens.

          << If the mind is not part of the body then how do
          I know if I even have a soul? >>

          You don't know. What was the last time that you
          actually encountered your own soul?? I would
          presume, like everyone else, you have never
          encountered your soul. There are only two
          possibilities. Either it is awfully good at hiding
          or it does not exist.

          << By my definition, the body can be projected
          into other dimensions... >>

          In my opinion, that is an impossibility. Granted,
          it is a nice thought.

          eduard
        • Tony
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 1 5:18 PM
            Eduard you are really a nice guy, I mean, you speak in euphemism just to
            clear the air of any hostility. I respect that. However, a disembodied mind?
            How could anyone even discuss this idea? The mind is merely the brain,
            nothing more. And projecting the body into other dimensions? Granted, some
            theorists have incorporated a model of the universe in which more then 4
            dimensions exist, yet how could we ever speak about projecting our bodies
            into these other speculative dimensions?

            Sincerely,
            Tony.
            > << I think the pyramids were more than simply
            > tombs...Didn't the ancients use them to align the
            > stars or something? >>
            >
            > Yes, and some say that the hole that was provided
            > for the "Ba" is orientated towards Orion. In my
            > opinion, the pyramids are just a pile of rocks. A
            > nice pile, no doubt, still just a pile. Any other
            > purpose, is just the same as Van Daniken's theory
            > that the markings on the Nazca plain in Peru were
            > to serve as landing strips for aliens.
            >
            > << If the mind is not part of the body then how do
            > I know if I even have a soul? >>
            >
            > You don't know. What was the last time that you
            > actually encountered your own soul?? I would
            > presume, like everyone else, you have never
            > encountered your soul. There are only two
            > possibilities. Either it is awfully good at hiding
            > or it does not exist.
            >
            > << By my definition, the body can be projected
            > into other dimensions... >>
            >
            > In my opinion, that is an impossibility. Granted,
            > it is a nice thought.
            >
            > eduard

          • Eduard Alf
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 1 6:56 PM
              Tony,

              I agree. Most of this talk of other dimensions is
              based upon small particle theory. I think the
              last count was 11 dimensions [ I could be wrong]
              all nicely coiled up in some fashion. I don't
              discount that sort of theory, since it has no
              impact upon me personally. I might think twice
              about, however, if some scientist comes up with a
              way of moving a camel to some other dimension
              [whatever that may be].

              But then my NOOism philosophy will accept it as a
              nice fantasy, if that keeps your neurons happy ...

              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 2 7:45 AM
                Tony, good thinking. Bill

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/