Re: [[existlist] Human nature]

  • Edward Alf
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 26, 2001
      hi Folks,

      im new to the list ....

      by way of introduction, im an electrical engineer specializing in design
      standards for aerodrome visual aids (e.g. runway lighting) ... im 56 ...
      living in the beautiful province of Quebec in Canada ....

      i have been on this personal spiritual quest thing for more years than i
      wish to think about ....

      as part of aerodrome visual aids i get involved in visual perception and the
      manner of signal processing in the brain ... what i have come across is the
      idea that the human brain is "wired" for religion and god ... that is
      perhaps being too specific and you may wish to say simply that one's brain
      is inclined to spirituality, because this enables survival through means of
      a social interconnectiveness ....

      be that as it may, im wondering if there is a possibility of a
      spiritual/religious side of existentialism ... i realise that Sartre was an
      atheist, but is a belief in god necessarily incompatible with the philosophy
      ... i dont think it is incompatible if worship is a matter of appreciation
      or awe for the condition of "being" ....

      regards

      eduard
    • Dustin Pickering
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 26, 2001
        Religious existentialists believe in God, and think we
        look to God for meaning. Look up Kierkegaard. I just
        started reading him...his belief in God was based on
        faith, not logic.

        =====
        Next time you feel guilty, think of rats...

        http://shopping.yahoo.com/
      • Edward Alf
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 27, 2001
          hi Dustin,

          i dont get it .... why should i think of rats the next time i feel guilty
          .... (assuming i should feel guilty about something) ...

          regards

          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 27, 2001
            I put that upwhen I assumed there was a human
            nature...that we all were "born green" as Sylvia Plath
            writes. Destructive little rodants...we all are like
            that, you see?

            Of course, now I have trouble believing in a "human
            nature" because so many varieties of people exist.
            What do you think?

            =====
            Next time you feel guilty, think of rats...

            http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
          • Edward Alf
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 27, 2001
              Dustin et Folks,

              no i do not see it ... rodents are only doing their thing ... it is not
              something that we like, but that does not mean that they are not part of the
              scheme of things ... i dont think that rats ever reflect upon their
              circumstance as to whether it is good or bad ...

              which is a good point in the way of asking whether a rat would be an
              existentialist ... after all his/her object is only being and survival ...
              the problems with humans is that in the process of surviving we tend to
              color our world in all sorts of assumptions ...

              as to your question on where to start with existentialism, i would suggest
              that you pick up a recent publication on the workings of the human brain ...
              it will give you a view of how humans operate ... the brain uses our senses
              to sample the world and must come up with an interpretation which lends it
              self to survival ... we make a mistake and do not survive successfully when
              our coloration is not adequate ....

              regards

            • tothehoop32000@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 27, 2001
                Hey all....I'm new to this group and I need help big time. Right now
                I'm writing a paper on John Barth and my teacher wants my thesis to
                be about existential absurdity. If anyone is familiar with this
                ideology or if they have any knowledge on it at all...please email me
                at tothehoop3@......I really need help so I would really
                apreciate it..thanks...

                Bill
              • Paul R Turner
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 28, 2001
                  I'm not familiar with John Barth. But Albert Camus put forward the notion of the Absurd. Life is absurd, but this is not a negative statement as many who misunderstand existentialism believe it to be. It is acceptance. On this theme see particularly The Myth of Sisyphus and to a lesser extent The Stranger/The Outsider (name depending on whether you are in the States or the UK respectively).

                  Hope this helps. Good Luck