RE: [existlist] Do you think therefore you are?

  • Eduard Alf
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 1, 2002
      Nick,

      I don't think the mind is part of the body.
      Rather the body is an extension of the mind
      through the sensors of the body. It is sort of
      like a android, in the sense that the wiring which
      activates the arms and legs, and which returns
      sensations of touch, is of the central processor.
      But the steel and plastic of which the arms and
      legs are made of are not part of the processor.
      For the human, it may be difficult to make a
      separation. Flesh itself is so much a part of its
      sensors that it is hard tell which is which.

      Consciousness is the processing of the mind. The
      soul is that time when the neurons escape from the
      vault of the skull, as in dreaming. Nothing
      leaves the body, but instead our neurons create a
      world of their own, and escape into it. Because
      our neurons can escape and because we can at times
      remember that escape, we tend to fantasize that
      they have actually gone somewhere and thus we
      invent things like a heaven. This is facilitated
      by manner in which we view the dead. When we go
      to a funeral parlor and see the body, it begs the
      question of where the thing that previously
      animated it, in life, has gone to. This "thing"
      we associate with a "soul" and consider it to be
      an entity by itself. The Egyptians went to great
      lengths to protect the residing portion of the
      soul [the "Ba"] through mummifying the body and
      providing a shelter [pyramid] in which it could
      remain after death. But all of this is just
      fantasy ...

      eduard
    • Bill Harris
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 1, 2002
        Eduard, We have such a hangover from the body/mind myth. We do not seem to
        have a problem distinguishing adipose tissue from connective tissue. In both
        form and function we see them as separate tissue types. They cofunction
        within the organism. Yet when it comes to neural tissue we must reinject
        the old mysticism, the mind, the spirit. That is just crap.
        As far as organs that inspire awe the liver as a chemical detoxification
        plant is broad and remarkable in its function. The kidneys as a low
        temperature distillation plant rival the big catcrackers in efficiency.
        Most people do not know about the function of organs other than the brain.
        They think they understand the brain because of pop science, mystical
        interrelation, and association with computers. The brain does much more than
        think. Physiology is a subject few have studied. They should before
        launching off into half baked dissertations of conjecture about function of
        any organ. Bill
        > I don't think the mind is part of the body.
        > Rather the body is an extension of the mind
        > through the sensors of the body. It is sort of
        > like a android, in the sense that the wiring which
        > activates the arms and legs, and which returns
        > sensations of touch, is of the central processor.
        > But the steel and plastic of which the arms and
        > legs are made of are not part of the processor.
        > For the human, it may be difficult to make a
        > separation. Flesh itself is so much a part of its
        > sensors that it is hard tell which is which.
        >
        > Consciousness is the processing of the mind. The
        > soul is that time when the neurons escape from the
        > vault of the skull, as in dreaming. Nothing
        > leaves the body, but instead our neurons create a
        > world of their own, and escape into it. Because
        > our neurons can escape and because we can at times
        > remember that escape, we tend to fantasize that
        > they have actually gone somewhere and thus we
        > invent things like a heaven. This is facilitated
        > by manner in which we view the dead. When we go
        > to a funeral parlor and see the body, it begs the
        > question of where the thing that previously
        > animated it, in life, has gone to. This "thing"
        > we associate with a "soul" and consider it to be
        > an entity by itself. The Egyptians went to great
        > lengths to protect the residing portion of the
        > soul [the "Ba"] through mummifying the body and
        > providing a shelter [pyramid] in which it could
        > remain after death. But all of this is just
        > fantasy ...
        >
        > eduard

      • Bill Harris
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 1, 2002
          Eduard, Something rather obscure underlines the effect of thought upon the
          evolution of the human species. Have you seen the numbers regarding breast
          cancer in Marin county California? Big increases in incidence and mortality
          with highly politicized theories as to the causality. The women are wealthy,
          and overwhelmingly liberal feminist in their lifestyles.
          In prehistoric times , forced migration might have caused association with
          a carcinogen. Now we may have a case of voluntary lifestyle choice causing
          deadly mutational change. The brain does not have to physically mutate to
          cause mutational circumstance to mortally mutate individuals. The choice to
          smoke is similar but has addictive components which clutter the causality.
          Use of the pill, selection against childbearing and breast feeding and
          menopausal hormone replacement all are risk factors identified with breast
          cancer. Or maybe it is something in the soil? Bill
          > I don't think the mind is part of the body.
          > Rather the body is an extension of the mind
          > through the sensors of the body. It is sort of
          > like a android, in the sense that the wiring which
          > activates the arms and legs, and which returns
          > sensations of touch, is of the central processor.
          > But the steel and plastic of which the arms and
          > legs are made of are not part of the processor.
          > For the human, it may be difficult to make a
          > separation. Flesh itself is so much a part of its
          > sensors that it is hard tell which is which.
          >
          > Consciousness is the processing of the mind. The
          > soul is that time when the neurons escape from the
          > vault of the skull, as in dreaming. Nothing
          > leaves the body, but instead our neurons create a
          > world of their own, and escape into it. Because
          > our neurons can escape and because we can at times
          > remember that escape, we tend to fantasize that
          > they have actually gone somewhere and thus we
          > invent things like a heaven. This is facilitated
          > by manner in which we view the dead. When we go
          > to a funeral parlor and see the body, it begs the
          > question of where the thing that previously
          > animated it, in life, has gone to. This "thing"
          > we associate with a "soul" and consider it to be
          > an entity by itself. The Egyptians went to great
          > lengths to protect the residing portion of the
          > soul [the "Ba"] through mummifying the body and
          > providing a shelter [pyramid] in which it could
          > remain after death. But all of this is just
          > fantasy ...
          >
          > eduard

        • Nick A
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 1, 2002
            I think the pyramids were more than simply tombs...Didn't the ancients use
            them to align the stars or something?

            If the mind is not part of the body then how do I know if I even have a
            soul? Of course, presuming consciousness is simply cognition.

            By my definition, the body can be projected into other dimensions...

            > Nick,
            >
            > I don't think the mind is part of the body.
            > Rather the body is an extension of the mind
            > through the sensors of the body. It is sort of
            > like a android, in the sense that the wiring which
            > activates the arms and legs, and which returns
            > sensations of touch, is of the central processor.
            > But the steel and plastic of which the arms and
            > legs are made of are not part of the processor.
            > For the human, it may be difficult to make a
            > separation. Flesh itself is so much a part of its
            > sensors that it is hard tell which is which.
            >
            > Consciousness is the processing of the mind. The
            > soul is that time when the neurons escape from the
            > vault of the skull, as in dreaming. Nothing
            > leaves the body, but instead our neurons create a
            > world of their own, and escape into it. Because
            > our neurons can escape and because we can at times
            > remember that escape, we tend to fantasize that
            > they have actually gone somewhere and thus we
            > invent things like a heaven. This is facilitated
            > by manner in which we view the dead. When we go
            > to a funeral parlor and see the body, it begs the
            > question of where the thing that previously
            > animated it, in life, has gone to. This "thing"
            > we associate with a "soul" and consider it to be
            > an entity by itself. The Egyptians went to great
            > lengths to protect the residing portion of the
            > soul [the "Ba"] through mummifying the body and
            > providing a shelter [pyramid] in which it could
            > remain after death. But all of this is just
            > fantasy ...
            >
            > eduard

          • Eduard Alf
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 1, 2002
              Nick,

              << I think the pyramids were more than simply
              tombs...Didn't the ancients use them to align the
              stars or something? >>

              Yes, and some say that the hole that was provided
              for the "Ba" is orientated towards Orion. In my
              opinion, the pyramids are just a pile of rocks. A
              nice pile, no doubt, still just a pile. Any other
              purpose, is just the same as Van Daniken's theory
              that the markings on the Nazca plain in Peru were
              to serve as landing strips for aliens.

              << If the mind is not part of the body then how do
              I know if I even have a soul? >>

              You don't know. What was the last time that you
              actually encountered your own soul?? I would
              presume, like everyone else, you have never
              encountered your soul. There are only two
              possibilities. Either it is awfully good at hiding
              or it does not exist.

              << By my definition, the body can be projected
              into other dimensions... >>

              In my opinion, that is an impossibility. Granted,
              it is a nice thought.

              eduard
            • Tony
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 1, 2002
                Eduard you are really a nice guy, I mean, you speak in euphemism just to
                clear the air of any hostility. I respect that. However, a disembodied mind?
                How could anyone even discuss this idea? The mind is merely the brain,
                nothing more. And projecting the body into other dimensions? Granted, some
                theorists have incorporated a model of the universe in which more then 4
                dimensions exist, yet how could we ever speak about projecting our bodies
                into these other speculative dimensions?

                Sincerely,
                Tony.
                > << I think the pyramids were more than simply
                > tombs...Didn't the ancients use them to align the
                > stars or something? >>
                >
                > Yes, and some say that the hole that was provided
                > for the "Ba" is orientated towards Orion. In my
                > opinion, the pyramids are just a pile of rocks. A
                > nice pile, no doubt, still just a pile. Any other
                > purpose, is just the same as Van Daniken's theory
                > that the markings on the Nazca plain in Peru were
                > to serve as landing strips for aliens.
                >
                > << If the mind is not part of the body then how do
                > I know if I even have a soul? >>
                >
                > You don't know. What was the last time that you
                > actually encountered your own soul?? I would
                > presume, like everyone else, you have never
                > encountered your soul. There are only two
                > possibilities. Either it is awfully good at hiding
                > or it does not exist.
                >
                > << By my definition, the body can be projected
                > into other dimensions... >>
                >
                > In my opinion, that is an impossibility. Granted,
                > it is a nice thought.
                >
                > eduard

              • Eduard Alf
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 1, 2002
                  Tony,

                  I agree. Most of this talk of other dimensions is
                  based upon small particle theory. I think the
                  last count was 11 dimensions [ I could be wrong]
                  all nicely coiled up in some fashion. I don't
                  discount that sort of theory, since it has no
                  impact upon me personally. I might think twice
                  about, however, if some scientist comes up with a
                  way of moving a camel to some other dimension
                  [whatever that may be].

                  But then my NOOism philosophy will accept it as a
                  nice fantasy, if that keeps your neurons happy ...

                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 2, 2002
                    Tony, good thinking. Bill

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/