Re: [[existlist] Human nature]

  • Dustin Pickering
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 26, 2001
      I'm no help; I'm a newbie!

      =====
      Next time you feel guilty, think of rats...

      http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
    • Edward Alf
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 26, 2001
        hi Folks,

        im new to the list ....

        by way of introduction, im an electrical engineer specializing in design
        standards for aerodrome visual aids (e.g. runway lighting) ... im 56 ...
        living in the beautiful province of Quebec in Canada ....

        i have been on this personal spiritual quest thing for more years than i
        wish to think about ....

        as part of aerodrome visual aids i get involved in visual perception and the
        manner of signal processing in the brain ... what i have come across is the
        idea that the human brain is "wired" for religion and god ... that is
        perhaps being too specific and you may wish to say simply that one's brain
        is inclined to spirituality, because this enables survival through means of
        a social interconnectiveness ....

        be that as it may, im wondering if there is a possibility of a
        spiritual/religious side of existentialism ... i realise that Sartre was an
        atheist, but is a belief in god necessarily incompatible with the philosophy
        ... i dont think it is incompatible if worship is a matter of appreciation
        or awe for the condition of "being" ....

        regards

        eduard
      • Dustin Pickering
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 26, 2001
          Religious existentialists believe in God, and think we
          look to God for meaning. Look up Kierkegaard. I just
          started reading him...his belief in God was based on
          faith, not logic.

          =====
          Next time you feel guilty, think of rats...

          http://shopping.yahoo.com/
        • Edward Alf
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 27, 2001
            hi Dustin,

            i dont get it .... why should i think of rats the next time i feel guilty
            .... (assuming i should feel guilty about something) ...

            regards

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 27, 2001
              I put that upwhen I assumed there was a human
              nature...that we all were "born green" as Sylvia Plath
              writes. Destructive little rodants...we all are like
              that, you see?

              Of course, now I have trouble believing in a "human
              nature" because so many varieties of people exist.
              What do you think?

              =====

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 27, 2001
                Dustin et Folks,

                no i do not see it ... rodents are only doing their thing ... it is not
                something that we like, but that does not mean that they are not part of the
                scheme of things ... i dont think that rats ever reflect upon their
                circumstance as to whether it is good or bad ...

                which is a good point in the way of asking whether a rat would be an
                existentialist ... after all his/her object is only being and survival ...
                the problems with humans is that in the process of surviving we tend to
                color our world in all sorts of assumptions ...

                as to your question on where to start with existentialism, i would suggest
                that you pick up a recent publication on the workings of the human brain ...
                it will give you a view of how humans operate ... the brain uses our senses
                to sample the world and must come up with an interpretation which lends it
                self to survival ... we make a mistake and do not survive successfully when
                our coloration is not adequate ....

                regards

              • tothehoop32000@yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 27, 2001
                  Hey all....I'm new to this group and I need help big time. Right now
                  I'm writing a paper on John Barth and my teacher wants my thesis to
                  be about existential absurdity. If anyone is familiar with this
                  ideology or if they have any knowledge on it at all...please email me
                  at tothehoop3@......I really need help so I would really
                  apreciate it..thanks...

                  Bill
                • Paul R Turner
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 28, 2001
                    I'm not familiar with John Barth. But Albert Camus put forward the notion of the Absurd. Life is absurd, but this is not a negative statement as many who misunderstand existentialism believe it to be. It is acceptance. On this theme see particularly The Myth of Sisyphus and to a lesser extent The Stranger/The Outsider (name depending on whether you are in the States or the UK respectively).

                    Hope this helps. Good Luck